Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Penn State's ice hockey program

Quote Originally Posted by Chief32 View Post
    I absolutely love State College. Greatest place in the world IMO.
    Concur 100%. been trying to get back there for a decade now. Bastard the wife would replace just won't retire though. At the very least we are planning to split time between State College and Gainesville Fl when we retire.

I think I am one of the rare people who just doesnt care for PSU.

But more D1 programs in the area are what is needed. I mean this is what the 2nd or 3rd D1 program in the state..
    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."
    —Brett Hull

"I don't want to get into a 'he said, she said' with the refs...I'm the he."
    —Chris Pronger

Quote Originally Posted by LucaSbisa47 View Post
    I think I am one of the rare people who just doesnt care for PSU.

But more D1 programs in the area are what is needed. I mean this is what the 2nd or 3rd D1 program in the state..
    3rd but none with the clout that PSU would bring once they establish themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerDuke View Post
    Love this. Was in SC for undergrad and MBA (80-86).

My fraternity bro (he was pres and I was VP) was the starting goalie for PSU team back then.
    Didn't know you were up there. We overlapped from 84-86, so I probably drank a beer with you at some point. Which fraternity were you in?

We tried to get a club team off the ground at Ogontz in '87. Didn't have the funding or organization to make it happen. Shame because we had some good players from all around the area. If they extend some of the funds to branch campus teams they'll have one helluva talent draw from in state players alone.
    Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Hockey Threads! It's a Miracle!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    Yeah but none of the other conferences exist in hockey. There is no Big East, no ACC, no SEC mostly because a lot of those schools do not have hockey programs. I just feel like they should leave the NCAA Hockey Conferences alone.
    Put them in the ECAC that way I can see them up here at Cornell every other year. I'm glad a big school like PSU will be entering division I. It's funny but Huntsville, Ala has a team (and they're not bad). Of course most of HA team is from Canada.

I absolutely love State College. Greatest place in the world IMO.
    This is why I love working/living at Cornell. The whole town of Ithaca is basically two schools (Ithaca College & Cornell). College towns just have a different "feel" to them. We have a great hockey program, which I now work for on the side, and tons of things to do in this area. Plus Philly, Buffalo, NYC, Toronto are all an easy highway ride of about 3-4 hours.

I plan on snow birding (somewhere warm) after I retire and keeping our house that we are building right now for summers. Summer up here is just perfect. Ithaca is a lot like happy valley just smaller.
    Last edited by Eztarget; 03-03-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Suffers from Woot Nuts Disease bmp1's Avatar
    For those of you who don't know, PSU recently received a giant donation from alum Terry Pegula who is the new owner of the Sabres. They will be enterting into division I hockey in the next few years.

I was up there last night and was told they are going to hire Mark Johnson as their head coach.

Just thought some of you may be interested.
    Saw that story in the Penn Stater a couple of months ago - it was a big hunk of money. Didn't realize he was the new owner of the Sabres.
    Science does not suffer fools well, but it does make fools suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerr12 View Post
    We tried to get a club team off the ground at Ogontz in '87. Didn't have the funding or organization to make it happen. Shame because we had some good players from all around the area. If they extend some of the funds to branch campus teams they'll have one helluva talent draw from in state players alone.
    In the Philly area Penn state Brandywine campus has a club team. They are a fairly decent team considering they are 99% Fresh and Sophs. several of the other campuses have club teams now. Berks, Altoona are 2 others that I can think of off the top of my head

Suffers from Woot Nuts Disease bmp1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer View Post
    Concur 100%. been trying to get back there for a decade now. Bastard the wife would replace just won't retire though. At the very least we are planning to split time between State College and Gainesville Fl when we retire.
    at one time Penn State had taken over the inertial navigation facilities in Warminster, but I was also looking at an activity in State College as a semi-retirement. I could go back to R&D work when the wife retires.
    Science does not suffer fools well, but it does make fools suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer View Post
    3rd but none with the clout that PSU would bring once they establish themselves.
    Exactly, Robert Morris and MercyHurst dont have the potential to end up being a Boston U or BC or Mighigan type of program. PSU has the chance to really challenge once they get set up.
    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."
    —Brett Hull

"I don't want to get into a 'he said, she said' with the refs...I'm the he."
    —Chris Pronger