Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Penn State's ice hockey program

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    Personally, I don't like that idea. Lots of good traditional rivalries like Minnesota vs. North Dakota or Minnesota vs. Minnesota Duluth or Ohio State vs. Miami (Ohio) or Minnesota vs. Wisconsin would be minimized.

They should just add Penn State to the CCHA and be done with it and they would get to play Ohio, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame, etc.
    mixed feelings for me. PSU would only be the 6th D1 team so it would be a small league. If they started a Big 10 conference there would be plenty of games available for those rivalry games. If other big 10 schools add D1 level teams though, I'd think they would have to seriously consider it. Conferences like the Big 10 are there for a reason

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer View Post
    mixed feelings for me. PSU would only be the 6th D1 team so it would be a small league. If they started a Big 10 conference there would be plenty of games available for those rivalry games. If other big 10 schools add D1 level teams though, I'd think they would have to seriously consider it. Conferences like the Big 10 are there for a reason
    Yeah but none of the other conferences exist in hockey. There is no Big East, no ACC, no SEC mostly because a lot of those schools do not have hockey programs. I just feel like they should leave the NCAA Hockey Conferences alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ceez4r View Post
    That is pretty awesome. I guess I can't hate the Sabres too much now.
    Just wait until he takes over the football program.

By the way, the guy in charge of PSU hockey is Joe Batista. Many think he will be the next AD when Paterno and Curley leave. I know Joe personally and have for years. The word mediocrity does not enter into his vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief32 View Post
    By the way, the guy in charge of PSU hockey is Joe Batista. Many think he will be the next AD when Paterno and Curley leave. I know Joe personally and have for years. The word mediocrity does not enter into his vocabulary.
    Don't know him personally but know what he has done with PSU hockey and the ACHA (Co-founder). Doesn't suprise me at all. I am hoping that I can get to State College permanently in the next 4 or 5 years but right now it looks like a branch Campus.

"JoeBa".

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    Yeah but none of the other conferences exist in hockey. There is no Big East, no ACC, no SEC mostly because a lot of those schools do not have hockey programs. I just feel like they should leave the NCAA Hockey Conferences alone.
    LIke I said, mixed feeling. I just think that a Big 10 conference would go a long way toward mainstreaming Hockey. Natural rivalries beyond the sport enhance the experience

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer View Post
    Don't know him personally but know what he has done with PSU hockey and the ACHA (Co-founder). Doesn't suprise me at all. I am hoping that I can get to State College permanently in the next 4 or 5 years but right now it looks like a branch Campus.
    I absolutely love State College. Greatest place in the world IMO.

I absolutely love State College. Greatest place in the world IMO.
    some of the best times of my life have happened there and I didn't even go to school there. It is disney world for the 18-25 age group.

I am really happy to hear this, College Hockey seems to stop in NE and starts again in ohio. Will be nice to bring some competitive hockey to the mid atlantic region more.

Just wait until he takes over the football program.

Chief, you play up there?

Philly Sports Forums LLC Senior Counsel FlyerDuke's Avatar
    Love this. Was in SC for undergrad and MBA (80-86).

My fraternity bro (he was pres and I was VP) was the starting goalie for PSU team back then.
    Originally Posted by DrunkenCoatsey
    This thread here, I'm pretty sure it what the Internet was made for. A never ending battle to summit Mt. Retard.