Strict Standards: Static function vB_Route::getURL() should not be abstract in /home/psfadmin/public_html/forums/vb/route.php on line 428
2018-19 Flyers Prospect ranking
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Flyers Prospect ranking

2018-19 Flyers Prospect ranking

I did polls in past years and that seemed to annoy some so I thought I'd just do a thread this year (I'm sure that will annoy some as well). Going into the 19-19 season how do you rank the top 10 Flyer prospects?

I think mine would be:

1. Hart
    2. Frost
    3. Myers
    4. Farabee
    5. Allison
    6. Ratcliffe
    7. O'Brien
    8. Vorobyov
    9. Morin
    10a. Rubstov
    10b. Lacyznski

unfortunately Morin has been going to wrong way each year...this may end up being another lost year for him but at least they have depth there. Rubstov has been making a similar slide year after year and this is a big year for him to try and get his game back. The same with Laberge.

For historical purposes here's how the prospect pool has evolved...

2017-18

1. Patrick
    2. Sanheim
    3. Hart
    4. Lindblom
    5. Myers
    6. Rubstov
    7. Morin
    8. Frost
    9. Allison
    10. Hagg

2016-17

1. Provorov
    2a. Konecny
    2b. Sanheim
    4. Morin
    5. Rubtsov
    6. Myers
    7. Stolarz
    8. Lindblom
    9. Aube Kubel
    10. Laberge

2015-16

1. Sanheim
    2. Morin
    3. Gost
    4. Lindblom
    5. Hagg
    6. Aube Kubel
    7. Stolarz
    8. Cousins
    9. Friedman
    10. Martel

2014-15

1. Laughton
    2. Hagg
    3. Gost
    4. Morin
    5. Stolarz
    6. Sanheim
    7. Alt
    8. Leier
    9. Aube Kubel
    10. Alderson

2013-14

1. Laughton
    2. Hagg
    3. Cousins
    4. Manning
    5. Morin
    6. Gost
    7. Straka
    8. McGinn
    9. Akeson
    10. Stolarz
    Last edited by Banger; 07-12-2018 at 08:59 AM.

In my opinion you have to consider Sanheim and Lindblom prospects still. Lindblom has played in only 23 NHL games and would still be considered a rookie this year I believe? He is also not a lock to make the team out of camp in my honest opinion.

Sanheim may also not be a lock to make the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

Is very bad to steal Jobu's rum
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    In my opinion you have to consider Sanheim and Lindblom prospects still. Lindblom has played in only 23 NHL games and would still be considered a rookie this year I believe? He is also not a lock to make the team out of camp in my honest opinion.

Sanheim may also not be a lock to make the team.
    Agreed.

Sanheim oozes talent, but in my opinion is not an NHL defenseman yet. I haven't really been impressed with him to be honest. The lack of a role that fits his talents doesn't help the situation either.

Lindblom is in the same boat. His inability to PK or a PP spot is what hurts him.

Quote Originally Posted by F'_U_Joboo View Post
    Agreed.

Sanheim oozes talent, but in my opinion is not an NHL defenseman yet. I haven't really been impressed with him to be honest. The lack of a role that fits his talents doesn't help the situation either.

Lindblom is in the same boat. His inability to PK or a PP spot is what hurts him.
    I think both of them would gain experience and confidence from some special teams time but what do I know. Instead they laden players like Provorov with PP2 time so he can be worn down by the stretch run because, ‘that’s what number one defensemen do’, and the kids, ‘need to put in the work’, or whatever outdated philosophy. Both of those guy were very good specials teams players at other levels. Lindblom even plays the slot positon that they need on PP1. Sanheim can run the point on PP2 or use 2 D there. Lindblom can kill. Sanheim maybe not yet but then again could he be worse than what they have now? He could at least retrieve and skate the puck out of danger better than most of the slugs.

Is very bad to steal Jobu's rum
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapdad View Post
    I think both of them would gain experience and confidence from some special teams time but what do I know. Instead they laden players like Provorov with PP2 time so he can be worn down by the stretch run because, ‘that’s what number one defensemen do’, and the kids, ‘need to put in the work’, or whatever outdated philosophy. Both of those guy were very good specials teams players at other levels. Lindblom even plays the slot positon that they need on PP1. Sanheim can run the point on PP2 or use 2 D there. Lindblom can kill. Sanheim maybe not yet but then again could he be worse than what they have now? He could at least retrieve and skate the puck out of danger better than most of the slugs.
    So, couple things there. Yes, I agree Sanheim would look good on PP2. And yes, they could run 2 defenseman there, but they seem to like having 4 forwards. I don't really have a problem with Provorov in Ghost's spot, as he has a better shot and that's pretty much what they ask that spot to do, fire away. If Lindblom can kill, fantastic. It will increase his odds of making the team. I don't mind him in the slot on the PP, but he's got a lof players to jump to get those minutes.

As to Sanheim on the PK, I absolutely think he could be worse than what they have. He doesn't win board battles, he doesn't clear the crease. Yes, he could retrive dump ins but how many teams dump and chase on the PP anymore? Yes, he could skate the puck out if he gets it, but he needs to get it first. These are ll the things he still needs to work on to be an NHL defenseman. I feel like the PK would play to his weaknesses, not his strengths.

Lindblom has shown zero that he can score at the NHL level, let alone that he deserves a spot in the slot on the PP
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.

I think it's a virtual certainty that Lindblom makes the team...sure he can still be considered a prospect based on the number of games played but I think the team likes him a lot and he's seen as a top 9 winger. He didn't have eye popping stats but he was about as snakebit as someone could get last year. He seemed to be doing everything right over his first 12 games but couldn't buy a point (similar to his initial transition to the AHL) and then after he broke through he 6 pts in his last 11 games. Didn't have a good showing in the playoffs but not many besides Couturier did.

you can see the hockey iq and hands and I fully expect that he'll take that next step this year. If they had Ratcliffe/Allison/Farabee/O'Brien on the doorstep maybe I could see the possibility that he may get lost in the shuffle but at this point there's no one really pushing for that spot unless someone like NAK shoots the lights out in camp and Lindblom has a terrible camp. Even in that case, he's surpassed Weise/Lehtera/Leier/Weal.

You may be right on Sanheim on the PK. That is probably a stretch for now until he shows defensive improvement, agreed.

PP though sure and lessen Provorov's load slightly if possible. A minute less per game would add up and hopefully build some confidence for Sanheim doing something he is good at, like when he came back and played top 4 minutes with MacDonald and looked like a different player. Build on that. Confidence is huge for these kids.

Throw some different things at Lindblom. PP2 and PK in camp and tell him that's his new role along with 3rd line winger.

as far as PP units it depends on where JVR slots in but you may have a first unit of

PP1
    G-V-Couturier-JVR-Gost

PP2
    Patrick-Simmonds-Konecny-Provorov-Sanheim/Lindblom?

I would guess if they want to go 4 forwards they'll pop Lindblom on the 2nd unit, if they want to go 2 dmen then he's likely out and Sanheim is in.

I sincerely doubt that they pull Simmonds off of PP 1. I think Couturier or Voracek would get bumped. Simmonds is the best PP scorer on the team.