Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Simmonds

Quote Originally Posted by F'_U_Joboo View Post
    If you're going to continue to use Hackstol's weird Low-to-High offense, then I think you need a lot of them
    Maybe but more than one per line? That seems excessive as some of those guys are rather one-dimensional. Meanwhile the rest of the league is going fast/skilled puck pursuit and counter attack, and who knows how long this coach is even going to be here. This may be his last year, FSM willing. You need size too but without top notch speed and skill you just aren't going to be a top team. It would make more sense if the Flyers had a down low forchecking style like they used to but they don't.

Personally I would closely imitate how the Pens play. They know how to generate offense from down low or off the rush. Whatever you give them. It pains me to say but they are one of the best coached and run teams. Their minor league team is well coached too and those guys come up and have an immediate impact. The Flyers are trying to get there but they have a ways to go, especially with coaching at the NHL and AHL level. They seem very behind the times system wise and teams like Pittsburgh make them look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by jsp92 View Post
    I want to keep Wayne Simmonds. I ride this year out and see how his health is. If it is obvious that he is on the decline then deal with it later.

The cap should not be an issue for this team moving forward. They should have no problem re-signing their players or adding.
    If you're going to keep Wayne, you have to get his contract done sooner, not later.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    If you're going to keep Wayne, you have to get his contract done sooner, not later.
    This.

Right now you can sort of leverage the down year last year, his stated desire to finish his career here, and the obvious presence now of a sort of replacement in JVR. You risk that last year wasn't an outlier as far as injuries against NOT signing him now and watching him go lights out this year raising his value exponentially. Frankly he played pretty well considering the injuries and slowly but surely the cast around him is improving so you'd think by default he gets a bit more room out there as the opponents can't cover everyone with their top checkers.

In any event no "NMC/NT" unless it comes at a significant discount.

Was reading Meltzer and he was talking about leadership in the room and how Simmonds is the (only) bad cop when necessary and it makes me think they need him and will resign him. He wants to stay and they want him to as well and he contributes a lot more than just the on ice portion. Hextall is a big believer in intangibles and they have the space so I think they get it done.

It makes sense to do it sooner than later so this isn't an issue as they are approaching the trade deadline.

Waive Nodl and Shelley BluehenJK's Avatar
    You need to see what Simmonds health looks like before deciding anything. He was a liability at end of year last year. Plus you have kids coming up to take his place while saving cap space to spend on a goalie or a another top dman to complement Provorov. Hextall needs to GM his ass off next year....some big decisions to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdad View Post
    Was reading Meltzer and he was talking about leadership in the room and how Simmonds is the (only) bad cop when necessary and it makes me think they need him and will resign him. He wants to stay and they want him to as well and he contributes a lot more than just the on ice portion. Hextall is a big believer in intangibles and they have the space so I think they get it done.

It makes sense to do it sooner than later so this isn't an issue as they are approaching the trade deadline.
    If he isn't signed by the deadline, then he'll just walk without the Flyers getting anything in return. That's why he has to be signed sooner then later.
    Either sign him now or trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    If he isn't signed by the deadline, then he'll just walk without the Flyers getting anything in return. That's why he has to be signed sooner then later.
    Either sign him now or trade him.
    Agreed.

Formerly FlyersFan22
    Give him 3x$6MM. We’ve got near-term cap space, and we don’t know if he’ll fall off a ledge soon.

Seasoned Veteran TherienLiesTheProblem's Avatar
    I don’t have a problem with seeing how Simmonds plays this season & in the playoffs before deciding on an extension offer. He still has value to the team in making the playoffs & giving them their best shot in the playoffs. So it’s not like keeping him for his last year & has no value (unless they are eliminated by the deadline & still don’t trade him). His presence improves the team in the upcoming season. His absence weakens them.They’re at the point they can keep him, & worst case, if he walks for nothing, they still got JVR for nothing, plus gain simmonds’ cap Space.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    I hope Tiltp dies in a car accident or Jeff skinner gets concussed.

Seasoned Veteran
    Talking about all his intangibles is the set up for a big Ronald overpay
    Pussy Galore