Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simmonds

Simmonds

He's the same age as JVR and was drafted in the same year and has similar production. Would you offer him a similar deal as JVR that has the same cap hit and expires the same year ... basically a 4 Year extension front loaded with a $7M Cap Hit?

Keep in mind, next summer Lehtera, Raffl and Weal are all off the books. Weise would be off the following summer. So I think you can do this and supplement the roster with young players and still be able to pay Provorov, Konecny, etc when the time comes.

Rookie
    I think Simmonds can bring back a nice haul in a trade, he has a great reputation across the NHL. Hextall should try that avenue first.

Administrator / Number One Super Guy jsp92's Avatar
    I want to keep Wayne Simmonds. I ride this year out and see how his health is. If it is obvious that he is on the decline then deal with it later.

The cap should not be an issue for this team moving forward. They should have no problem re-signing their players or adding.
    Quote Originally Posted by F'_U_Joboo View Post
    Think about this Foo, as you celebrate your (in your mind) pyhrric victory in your head tonight. INF dies in his sleep tonight, people are without jobs, can't feed their families. Others are without an option for warm clothing.

You die, someone is without 80,000 in overhead

I am with JSP. I think you keep him. According to what I have read he wants to be with the Flyers for the rest of his career and his contributions are far more than what shows up on the score sheet.

IDK. Simmonds, JVR and Lindblom all have similar net front presence. Couturier and Patrick too for that matter plus they have Allison and Ratcliffe on the way. How many guys like that do you really need with the game the way it is now? They need more speed/skill forwards at this point and with the acquisition of JVR they should probably explore moving Simmonds. As much as it pains me to say so. Yes he is physical and has intangibles but I don't think that is worth 7x5 or whatever market value is. Sux though and I like him a lot as a player but he may be declining production wise at this point and they have so many other RW options coming up.

He's already on the 3rd line at ES and they have dabbled with replacing him on PP1. You can see the writing on the wall at this point unless he takes a below market deal which he probably shouldn't. Sometimes teams overpay for intangibles though so there is a little hope. Not sure it makes cap sense though. I'd explore trade and possibly send him out west. Tough one to sell in the room though. Overpay him or lose a true leader. Tough call. You can justify going either rout as they technically can afford it if they want to I believe. To the extent that you can project 5-6 years out but there is risk that his production tails off or that they need more money than they projected to resign the young core. Of course you could always trade, expose him in the ED or buyout after the next lockout. If his production crashes though then trade options dry up.

Hextall never includes NTC or NMC clauses in his deals so Simmonds can always be traded later, if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    Hextall never includes NTC or NMC clauses in his deals so Simmonds can always be traded later, if necessary.
    Unless his production falls a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdad View Post
    Unless his production falls a lot.
    True. Which is why the right deal at the right price is important. Right now JVR and Voracek both do NOT have NTCs or NMCs in their deals. Currently SImmonds has a M-NTC. If you sign him without a NMC or NTC, you could always get out from under one of those contracts at the next expansion draft.

Is very bad to steal Jobu's rum
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapdad View Post
    IDK. Simmonds, JVR and Lindblom all have similar net front presence. Couturier and Patrick too for that matter plus they have Allison and Ratcliffe on the way. How many guys like that do you really need with the game the way it is now? They need more speed/skill forwards at this point and with the acquisition of JVR they should probably explore moving Simmonds. As much as it pains me to say so. Yes he is physical and has intangibles but I don't think that is worth 7x5 or whatever market value is. Sux though and I like him a lot as a player but he may be declining production wise at this point and they have so many other RW options coming up.

He's already on the 3rd line at ES and they have dabbled with replacing him on PP1. You can see the writing on the wall at this point unless he takes a below market deal which he probably shouldn't. Sometimes teams overpay for intangibles though so there is a little hope. Not sure it makes cap sense though. I'd explore trade and possibly send him out west. Tough one to sell in the room though. Overpay him or lose a true leader. Tough call. You can justify going either rout as they technically can afford it if they want to I believe. To the extent that you can project 5-6 years out but there is risk that his production tails off or that they need more money than they projected to resign the young core. Of course you could always trade, expose him in the ED or buyout after the next lockout. If his production crashes though then trade options dry up.
    If you're going to continue to use Hackstol's weird Low-to-High offense, then I think you need a lot of them