Strict Standards: Static function vB_Route::getURL() should not be abstract in /home/psfadmin/public_html/forums/vb/route.php on line 428
John Tavares is a steaming pile of shit - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: John Tavares is a steaming pile of shit

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapdad View Post
    How did he know TO would even have the money let alone be willing to offer him that contract a full year in advance? He may have wanted to go there but if the numbers didn't make sense he wasn't.
    That's exactly why he kept the Islanders dangling down the stretch. Toronto and others aren't stupid. The longer he went not signing an extension with the team that could offer him the most term the more obvious it was that he was moving on.

You really don't think NO ONE whispers down the lane and info gets to where it needs to be early, do you? I mean he lives in Toronto, everyone knows they were his childhood team, blah blah blah, wouldn't take much intelligence to connect the dots info or not.

Waive Nodl and Shelley BluehenJK's Avatar
    Once he didn't sign with the Isles last year and wanted to become a free agent. it was up to the Isles to do what's best for their organization at that time. The Islanders fucked up by not moving him at the deadline. That public quote doesn't mean shit. This is fucking business not bro hug frat boy shit. Tavares wants to win a Cup. He wasted 9 years of his career with that piss poor terrible organization. If the Orioles don't move Machado, it's their fault too.

Quote Originally Posted by agentj View Post
    That's exactly why he kept the Islanders dangling down the stretch. Toronto and others aren't stupid. The longer he went not signing an extension with the team that could offer him the most term the more obvious it was that he was moving on.

You really don't think NO ONE whispers down the lane and info gets to where it needs to be early, do you? I mean he lives in Toronto, everyone knows they were his childhood team, blah blah blah, wouldn't take much intelligence to connect the dots info or not.
    So in other words he used FA exactly as it is supposed to work and waited until he had a deal he wanted to sign in July.

NYI could have traded him at the deadline if they wanted to mitigate the risk of losing the asset for nothing. Everyone knows that talk is cheap and business is business. The islanders knew the situation just as well as TO. He didn't extend there before the deadline. That was the fact of the situation and it was obvious to all that he was at least testing the market and was likely moving on, as you say. They knew that and didn't do anything about it so doom on them.

They probably made the calculation that if they traded him they would have zero chance at signing him so they decided to at least try to sign him rather than getting a far reduced return for a rental. Which is fine and that's their decision. Didn't work but they did in fact have more time to sell him on all the improvements they had made. It's kind of like Homer trading for the right to negotiate. Dumb but hey if you want to waste assets to talk then that's your right.

As for tampering sure it happens but good luck proving it happened in this instance. Maybe he knew his rights under the CBA and used them and it just seems strange because so few hockey players do it due to the dumb all shucks i'm a nice guy code. Their fans should be mad at their mgmt instead for continuing to make poor decisions.

We have no way of knowing when Tavares made the decision. Fact is that the trade deadline is well before the free agent courting period.

But, humoring the mouth breeders for a moment in assuming that he intended to leave long island since before the trade deadline already, what benefit would he have to say so in February?

Of course the media asked him about his plans throughout last season. If he goes the noncommittal way, e.g. "my agent and I will explore every option - including re-signing - after the conclusion of the season; my only focus right now is our hunt for a playoff spot" the media will repeat the question ad nausea and speculate the fuck out of him wanting to bail, causing needless annoyance. It might create a distraction, and backlash against him amongst all fans.

If he says something to the effect of "screw you guys, I'm going home" he'd appease his new Toronto overlords. But at the price of pissing of the entire Islander fanbase, plus his teammates. Moreover, consistent trade rumors would definitely cause a distraction in the locker room. Worst downside, he risks being sent packing to who-knows-where, needing to live in hotel rooms or other improvised option for a few months, upheaving his personal life. I don't know if he has a family, but if so it's even more of a headache. Most players hate moving as a rental. All that just to avoid a whiny thread on a Flyers board seems a bit much. Meanwhile, I'm sure Lou would kill Tavares' entire family without hesitation if that were to somehow improve the team. It's a business.

By saying he intends to re-sign and they're just ironing out the details, he gets as much people of his back as possible: those fans naive enough to take it at face value, and those realistic enough to know that it's a meaningless comment, but understand his underlying reasons for saying so (and thus don't hold it against him).

Suffers from Woot Nuts Disease bmp1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapdad View Post
    He made the right decision in the end and used FA to better his situation and chance to win a cup. I don't blame him although I question choosing the circus that is TO over SJ or someplace else. Anyplace is better than the island though. That franchise should move and get it over with.
    At one time they were the most hated rival of the Flyers. Some epic battles - and that was just the regular season.
    Fucking shame they've become such a shit show. Ownership and the community have combined to fuck this team over one way or the other.
    I remember watching Flyer-Islander games on channel 9 out of NY when the Flyers were playing at home.
    Not only hated the team, detested the broadcasters as well

Tavares has his deal, supposedly took a hometown discount to play in Toronto - break a leg John, seriously, I hope you break a leg playing for the Loafs
    “Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.”

Mark Twain on the members of Capitol Hill.

proud parent of a not-so-new-born fully grown psychopath FlyersFanSinceBirth's Avatar
    From HFBoards...

My son is at sleep away camp so I'm waiting until he gets back before burning his JT jersey and taking down all the JT fatheads. Walking by his room is tough but he its his stuff and it has to be his decision. So I'll be pretty angry for a couple of more weeks...
    In the last few days I cannot walk through my house without passing my Tavares bobblehead, Tavares figurine giveaway, the back page of the newspaper I cut out with him celebrating the playoff series winning goal, the poster from the opening night giveaway at Barclays, my Tavares jersey. It is one thing to be able to erase someone from your memory, but when there are so many meaningful things around that are so hard to get rid of, but yet you dont want to even look at him, what do you do?
    I am not used to have so much hatred flowing throw me for a freaking athlete.
    **** YOU Brutus Traitor, you were a friggen Trojan Horse

Only thing more pathetic than an adult with a jersey for a professional sports player and is an adult burning a jersey for a professional sports player.

Waive Nodl and Shelley BluehenJK's Avatar
    I am now actually happy Tavares left the Isles after reading that gay ass post from HFboards. Jesus Christ..... Act like fucking man. Everyone is like Alan Alda now...