Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FLYERS sign James van Riemsdyk ($35M/5 years)

Quote Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
    He didn’t even want to take a meeting with the Flyers. So no, you couldn’t.
    Never saw this, did Hextall say he tried?

Also fuck me ,I thought it said $25m not $35m .Even worse .

Ryan Kesler Fan Club President
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    Not crazy about the cap hit but the dude can score goals and we needed goal scoring on the wing. JVR will look really good with Patrick, IMO.

Also, the reaction from the board is proof that nothing Hextall does will be right for many here. He does nothing and he is scared. He gets one of the better free agents available and he is a moron without a clue wasting cap space.
    Mac - I want to agree with all that. 36 goals is 36 goals and I don't want to take anything away from JVR. But since everyone is in love with stats these days, Toronto fans have called JVR one of the most "sheltered" players in the NHL. He averaged less than 15 minutes ice time, but the majority of his goals were scored at ES so it's hard (for me) to make heads or tails of what the Flyers are getting on offense. Defensively, he's a trainwreck. By all accounts he is not a two way player and doesn't know there's a net at the other end of the ice. I can't imagine that after getting 35 million guaranteed he's suddenly going to develop a higher work rate and complete 200 foot game. He's going to be counted on to do a shit ton more here than he was in Toronto and IMO this deal is going to be regrettable after the 2nd year.

And so far in this thread I haven't seen anyone "jumping off a bridge" or unfairly burying Hextall. Hopefully this thread can continue to evolve without people trolling each other. Just because folks don't like the deal doesn't mean they are wrong or being emotional. I've seen solid opinions based on how people see their team. I have seen nothing but rational discussion. And for the record, I don't understand the commitment (both term and dollar) as the roster is currently constructed.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyerDuke View Post
    LOL. I actually think Couturier should use cocaine - it may make him skate faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    not sure even coke would help with that.

Just rember he could be a compliance buyout.

Artist formerly known as kindczar zeusam's Avatar
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by coop3422 View Post
    Never saw this, did Hextall say he tried?

Also fuck me ,I thought it said $25m not $35m .Even worse .
    I think Tavares point blank said he didn't want to play in Philly. Nothing you can do in that situation.

{Sigh} Where do I begin.................

I actually don't "hate" this deal. I think JVR has matured, and is a guy who can pop 25-35 goals consistently, on the first or second lines.............maybe he has unfinished business and will be more determined, whatever.

Bottom line IMO is he wouldn't have signed here, if he didn't want to BE here................that means a lot............
    How funky is your chicken? How funky is your chicken?
    How loose is your goose? Our goose is totally loose.....
    So c'mon all you Flyer fans.......c'mon all you Flyer fans
    And shake your Caboose !! Shake your Caboose !!

Quote Originally Posted by adurn View Post
    I think Tavares point blank said he didn't want to play in Philly. Nothing you can do in that situation.
    Did he actually come out and say that? If he did, not much one can do .I liked JVR here and thought trading him for Luke was awful .Hope he can come in and help, but I'm doubtful given the term.

They still REALLY need a goalie .

I'm not a JVR fan but I will try to be this time around. I don't like the signing but rooting for it to turn out to be a good one. I'd rather keep Simmonds than this.

Quote Originally Posted by coop3422 View Post
    Did he actually come out and say that? If he did, not much one can do .I liked JVR here and thought trading him for Luke was awful .Hope he can come in and help, but I'm doubtful given the term.

They still REALLY need a goalie .
    guessing carter hart had a crystal ball when revealing his new flyers mask the other day. wonder if this forces the team to give him a VERY serious look now.

Nobody on this team can score 36goals. We needed goal scoring and he was the best free agent goal scorer on the market. If tavares didn't want to come here then this is the next best thing, plus if Toronto doesn't get JT we made them a lot weaker as well. If this was Holmgren we would have traded a 1st for his rights then gave him 8 years 8.5avv.