Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: GDT 2018 NHL DRAFT

Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    Again. The fact that he didn't trade for someone's cap dump is a step in the right direction.

Tough to criticize him just making picks at the slots they had picks.

I would love for him to make a serious run at Tavares.

Tavares
    Couturier
    Patrick

as your top 3 centers is a deadly combo for the next 5 years. It removes the pressure off of Giroux as he gets up there in years.

Giroux - Tavares
    Voracek - Couturier
    Konecney - Patrick

Those are 3 pretty impressive combos that would make the flyers very difficult to matchup against.

Mix and match Frost, Konecney and Simmonds in there how you will
    Absolutely agree here. You give the guy a blank check, they have the cap room. If he brought in Tavares and a legit goalie, the team would be ready to start making a legit push for the cup. It angers me that he's so close, but will likely just sit on his hands while other teams improve.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned but for the first time in franchise history they did not select a Canadian player in the draft. These aren't your Bobby Clarke Flyers. Their draft consisted of 5 Americans and 3 Swedes. What's also interesting is the number of their players heading to college vs. the CHL...both Farabee and O'Brien are headed to college and at least St. Ivany and Gavin Hain (6th rounder)...so that's 4 of the 5 Americans heading to college...Wyatte Wylie is the only American playing in the WHL for Hart's old team. Ginning, Ersson and Westfalt will all be playing in Sweden.

Overall, they picked up 3 dmen (2 RHD), a goalie, 3 centers and one winger (Farabee) and traded a 7th this year for a 7th next year.

Woah boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    I'm not sure if it was mentioned but for the first time in franchise history they did not select a Canadian player in the draft. These aren't your Bobby Clarke Flyers. Their draft consisted of 5 Americans and 3 Swedes. What's also interesting is the number of their players heading to college vs. the CHL...both Farabee and O'Brien are headed to college and at least St. Ivany and Gavin Hain (6th rounder)...so that's 4 of the 5 Americans heading to college...Wyatte Wylie is the only American playing in the WHL for Hart's old team. Ginning, Ersson and Westfalt will all be playing in Sweden.

Overall, they picked up 3 dmen (2 RHD), a goalie, 3 centers and one winger (Farabee) and traded a 7th this year for a 7th next year.
    in the later rounds drafting college and euros is a better strategy if the players are similar. You hold their rights longer.
    Pussy Galore

Quote Originally Posted by Jkay View Post
    in the later rounds drafting college and euros is a better strategy if the players are similar. You hold their rights longer.
    ya, you can clearly see that strategy being used and it also allows them to mature slower which Hextall loves. At some point drafting 9-10 players a year and all the kids in the pipeline they'll have to start packaging guys because they won't have enough contract slots. I guess this year was the first example of that when he dealt Marody for a 3rd.

also, players going the college route also gives the Flyers more time to make a decision on a player / time for them to mature.

Will absolutely catch a couple BU games this year, always go to the NU/BU games at the very least as wife is a BU grad and I went to NU. If anyone has never been to Mathews arena it is a great old school place to watch a game, the BU Agannis arena is equal to many of the AHL style of arenas. Also have to add any Providence games to the list.
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. For your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.-Fred Shero

West of the Jordan, east of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Schultz #8 View Post
    Will absolutely catch a couple BU games this year, always go to the NU/BU games at the very least as wife is a BU grad and I went to NU.
    Do tell.
    "He is not a top 6 but a decent enough D-man to be a 3rd pairing." - Dave Schultz #8

"Strange how people who suffer together have stronger connections than people who are most content." - Bob Dylan