Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the least entertaining playoffs ever?

All Star

Is this the least entertaining playoffs ever?

Obviously, "entertainment" is subjective and how much you like different teams and players will contribute significantly to differences between fans in how entertaining they find things.

But one set of objective indicators that relate to entertainment show how competitive the playoffs have been, and by these measures this has been arguably the worst playoffs ever:

Playoff measures suggesting that games/series have not been as competitive or close as usual:
    1 goal games - only 26 of 79 games (35% compared to about 47% in the regular season)
    OT - only 10 of 79 (13% compared to about 20% in the regular season)
    Comebacks (being down in the second period or later and coming back to win) - only 14 of 79 games (17% compared to about 29% in the regular season)
    7 game series - only 3 of 14 (last 10 playoff years the average has been 5, and the lowest ever has been 3 in 2017)
    Last edited by TCNow; 05-28-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
    As long as Homer is here, there is no way in hell that either Carter or Richards are moved.
    http://www.phillysportsforums.com/fo...quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MnchstrCityBlues79 http://www.phillysportsforums.com/fo...post-right.png
    Fuck off. I'm a fan, derived from fanaticism. Not born in reason or logic but in passion and dedication. If you don't believe in the intangibles and immeasurables then you are one miserable fuck.

I stopped watching, so for me, yeah.

I wonder how the penalty numbers stack up to prior years. I watched a lot of the 1st and 2nd round, and I felt like the officiating got bad later into games. They'd let teams play the 1st and 2nd period, but then start calling a bunch of shit they'd previously let go in the 3rd. And then missing stuff meant make-up calls. I'll probably pick up the finals after game 2 or so, but that's about it for me.

Hockey pools are the only thing that keeps it exciting and entertaining once the Flyers have been eliminated.
    First round was definitely not as good as previous years but Vegas has provided some good hockey all playoffs. That team is a machine.

Artist formerly known as kindczar zeusam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudz88 View Post
    Hockey pools are the only thing that keeps it exciting and entertaining once the Flyers have been eliminated.
    First round was definitely not as good as previous years but Vegas has provided some good hockey all playoffs. That team is a machine.
    I dont watch once the Flyers are out and stop caring completely once the Pens are out so this feels like pretty much every year since 2010.

No, I thought the Jets-Predators was one of the best in many years and Caps-Pens and Caps-Lightning were entertaining. The Vegas pre-game show at home is also very funny.
    Win today and we walk together forever - Fred Shero

Yes.

Does anyone care besides fuzz and tltp?
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafSittler View Post
    Let me tell you why I know more. It's not because I'm Canadian. It's because I played 3 years in the OHL and played for the Memorial Cup. It's because I played 2 years in the AHL and if not for a bum knee, I might have gotten my shot at the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by revdon64 View Post
    I don't say stuff like this, but if I got a hold of you right now I'd probably bash your head into the stone floor until it burst like an overripe melon. In the future you're welcome to keep your fuck ed up opinions to yourself.

I’m a hockey fan and follow the game way more than the OP. Who is a loser who never made beyond squirt Love the Vegas storyline and the game 7 of caps tb was epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

Always follow the playoffs all the way through to the Finals. Not just a Flyers hockey fan only.
    Is the game as great as decades ago? Probably not. But still one of my favorite sports to follow & watch.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    I’m a hockey fan and follow the game way more than the OP. Who is a loser who never made beyond squirt Love the Vegas storyline and the game 7 of caps tb was epic.
    Lol, having a bad day?

I agree with the Vegas storyline - I have enjoyed that and the unbelievable effort those guys are playing with almost every shift. But for me, since none of the teams I feel very strongly about had much of a run, it comes down to watching good competitive hockey and too many of the games/series have been less competitive than normal. If you turned the games off after the first goal, you wouldn't have missed much in too many of the games .. .I think thats kinda ironic in an age when we have seemingly more parity than ever before, yet the playoffs have been less close than normal.

I also agree game 7 Caps-Bolts was one of the better games for the 1st 2 periods at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
    As long as Homer is here, there is no way in hell that either Carter or Richards are moved.
    http://www.phillysportsforums.com/fo...quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MnchstrCityBlues79 http://www.phillysportsforums.com/fo...post-right.png
    Fuck off. I'm a fan, derived from fanaticism. Not born in reason or logic but in passion and dedication. If you don't believe in the intangibles and immeasurables then you are one miserable fuck.

I should have put some small cash on Vegas at 200-1 before the season started? $50 = $10,000 if they win the cup.