Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Draft Prospects

2018 Draft Prospects

Since the Flyers season is now done it's on to the draft. Unless something crazy happens at the lottery on Friday the Flyers will have the #14 and #19 picks in the first round. I've looked at some mock drafts today and these are some of the guys that have popped up on a number drafts and may be around when the Flyers pick.

These write ups are from Sportingnews...One of the most common names seems to be Bode Wilde...

Bode Wilde, RHD, U.S. U18 (NTDP)
    A thoroughbred puck mover who likes to live on the edge with his reads, Wilde has the skills to become one of the top players taken from this draft. Some question his ability to defend, but Wilde has proven he knows how to do it when it's asked of him. He's only a tweak or two away from becoming his generation's version of Scott Niedermayer.

Barrett Hayton, C, Sault Ste Marie (OHL)
    Hayton is a heady two-way center that drives opponents batty with his rapid directional changes and ability to thread the needle with his passes. His straight-line speed probably is the one thing preventing him from being talked about as a lock for the top five, but Hayton checks every other block. It shouldn't shock anyone if he’s the first Canadian-born player drafted.

Joe Veleno, C, Drummondville (QMJHL) (some have him top 10, others mid-1st)
    A quick-skating pivot with elite vision, Veleno is one of the best of what appears to be a thin group of centers. A midseason trade from Saint John helped boost his production and did wonders for Drummondville's power play. Veleno has pro size (6-1, 190) and is capable of taking on a leadership role.

Ty Smith, LHD, Spokane (WHL)

A silky-smooth puck mover who is the cream of this year's Western Canadian draft contingent, Smith is an outstanding power-play quarterback with excellent agility and a real nose for the net. There's some Drew Doughty to his game, especially the way he handles an aggressive forecheck.

Rasmus Kupari, C, Karpat (SM-Liiga)

Slick, dual-threat center with size who took to his role as a depth player on a contender in Finland's elite league. The Finns have become quite popular in terms of the recent NHL drafts, and Kupari arguably is the best they have to offer in 2018.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C/W, Assat (SM-Liiga)

Like his countryman Kupari, Kotkaniemi spent his draft year playing in Finland's top circuit. Only difference is Kotkaniemi significantly out-produced him. He's a mature playmaker with world-class vision, but his first-step quickness at this stage of his development is average.

Noah Dobson, RHD, Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL)

Pound for pound, there isn't a better one-on-one defender in this draft than Dobson, who uses his quick feet and NHL-caliber smarts to smother opposing puck carriers. On offense, he's more of a facilitator than an orchestrator, but he oozes potential in every area of the game and should be groomed to anchor a top pairing.
    Evan Bouchard, RHD, London (OHL)
    Bouchard, who this season was the OHL's top-scoring defenseman and carried London's gutted roster for almost three quarters of the season. He is a one-man breakout with a howitzer for a shot, plus he has the size (6'2, 190) and reach to make up for foot speed that appears average at best.
    Vitali Kravtsov, RW, Chelyabinsk (KHL)
    Kravtsov not only is an 18-year-old forward that actually played more than three minutes a game in the KHL, but he also scored in bunches in the playoffs. He's big (6'2, 170) and soft mitted, but his contract in Russia likely stops him from getting drafted in the top 10.
    Ryan McLeod, C/W, Mississauga (OHL)
    Big-bodied power forward with speed and playmaking abilities who was one of the top OHL scorers among first-year draft eligibles. McLeod's versatility is one of several things that stand out about him — he can play center or wing, shoot the puck with authority and is a mainstay on both the power play and penalty kill.

They wont be taking the Fin as apparently they dont have much scouting presence there for some reason.

Sick and tired of talking about nhl draft picks and prospects.

I don’t give a flying fuck about our 2018 draft picks that won’t be contributing until Giroux is balding and Voracek has to have his prostate removed.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafSittler View Post
    Let me tell you why I know more. It's not because I'm Canadian. It's because I played 3 years in the OHL and played for the Memorial Cup. It's because I played 2 years in the AHL and if not for a bum knee, I might have gotten my shot at the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by revdon64 View Post
    I don't say stuff like this, but if I got a hold of you right now I'd probably bash your head into the stone floor until it burst like an overripe melon. In the future you're welcome to keep your fuck ed up opinions to yourself.

One of the two Finns please. Whens the last time they drafted one, Reindeer fucker?
    “We don’t rebuild, we retool.”- Ed Snider

"Peter Forsbag"- Ed Snider

If Ty Smith or Evan Bouchard are there Hextall better take one of them. I don't care that we have 832 defensemen in the system. Half of them will bust anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Cheyney, are you by chance in San Diego? I just saw a black guy with a red CCCP t-shirt.

Ya know Giroux does have a nice thick head of hair...he probably won't ever go bald

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperz25 View Post
    I don’t give a flying fuck about our 2018 draft picks that won’t be contributing until Giroux is balding and Voracek has to have his prostate removed.
    LOL, Saint Ronnie will probably trade Voracek at the draft, take a horrendous contract back, just to acquire two 1st rounders who should be contributing on the big club in 10 years, if at all.

Oh wait, he did that last year.
    How funky is your chicken? How funky is your chicken?
    How loose is your goose? Our goose is totally loose.....
    So c'mon all you Flyer fans.......c'mon all you Flyer fans
    And shake your Caboose !! Shake your Caboose !!

Quote Originally Posted by bryboy7 View Post
    LOL, Saint Ronnie will probably trade Voracek at the draft, take a horrendous contract back, just to acquire two 1st rounders who should be contributing on the big club in 10 years, if at all.

Oh wait, he did that last year.
    Yeah but I don’t know if moving Voracek for picks would be as bad an idea with his enormous contract and dumb play.

Bow Down to the Timeout abstract's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.halloween View Post
    If Ty Smith or Evan Bouchard are there Hextall better take one of them. I don't care that we have 832 defensemen in the system. Half of them will bust anyway.
    Most of the highly touted defensemen in the system are at the NHL level with only a few left at the AHL level. I would like to see some more D talent start to work its way into the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSlackDelta View Post
    You know how you can tell you've fucked up and sound like an idiot, when you've got people like Nora and I in complete agreement with each other on an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by abstract View Post
    Most of the highly touted defensemen in the system are at the NHL level with only a few left at the AHL level. I would like to see some more D talent start to work its way into the system.
    ya, I think there's a good chance that they select a dman with one of their 2 1st rounders for that reason. Also, it's a very good draft for dmen especially where they will be drafting.