Page 57 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Season Potential Moves

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyney View Post
    How in the hell is Bobby Ryan 31 already?? Man oh man. Makes me feel old.

Also, has the TB trade package been made public yet?
    Funny too, I was pounding the table for him to come to Philly hoping his contract would expire with ANA and he'd sign with the Flyers. No idea what happened to him but dodged that bullet. Ryan in ANA was a beast, probably a product of his linemates though.

Bobby Ryan isn’t a bad player. He’s just absurdly overpaid and oft injured.

so they resigned Leier for a 1 year one way contract for $720k so they now have a full set of forwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    so they resigned Leier for a 1 year one way contract for $720k so they now have a full set of forwards...

Like his game but time to show he can play a role on the team on the 4th line. He plays well with Laughton and like that over seeing vets on those lines, time to get some energy with guys who want to earn a spot on the roster.
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. For your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.-Fred Shero

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Yup. Gotta make space if a kid is to make it.

If you waive Weise that gives you room for Lindblom. Another player would need to be moved, waived or traded if Frost or another forward forces themselves on the roster. This is my biggest frustration with Hextall. He does this all the time, adding marginal players to the roster that make it harder for the younger players to make the team and a ready made excuse for him not to promote players.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    If you waive Weise that gives you room for Lindblom. Another player would need to be moved, waived or traded if Frost or another forward forces themselves on the roster. This is my biggest frustration with Hextall. He does this all the time, adding marginal players to the roster that make it harder for the younger players to make the team and a ready made excuse for him not to promote players.
    In the last couple seasons when kids made the roster existing forwards were LV'ed or press boxed. What makes you think that will change now?

What if none of "the kids" are ready this time, play with 11 forwards? How about injuries, none on tap for this season? This is a no risk cheap signing of an AHL/NHL tweener. IF a "kid" makes the roster it's a depth signing.

Why don't we all wait for camp to see how things shake out, no? In the meantime RFAs HAVE to be resigned. Not sure why that is a problem.

Absolute worst case scenario is he gets waived and claimed if not claimed he's in LV.

Is very bad to steal Jobu's rum
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    It's not even just adding marginal players. It's that and using the bottom of the roster as a dumping ground for other teams contracts. Combine those 2 with a coach who will use those players over young kinds and it's a bad precedent. Weiss, Lehtera, and Weal are all useless fodder that should not be in the lineup and will block younger guys from the big club. Leier, while young, sits in this area in my mind too. While I would have been fine with it in a vacuum, I just see him as another wasted contract and roster spot with the way the team is set up now.

Is very bad to steal Jobu's rum
    Quote Originally Posted by agentj View Post
    In the last couple seasons when kids made the roster existing forwards were LV'ed or press boxed. What makes you think that will change now?

What if none of "the kids" are ready this time, play with 11 forwards? How about injuries, none on tap for this season? This is a no risk cheap signing of an AHL/NHL tweener. IF a "kid" makes the roster it's a depth signing.

Why don't we all wait for camp to see how things shake out, no? In the meantime RFAs HAVE to be resigned. Not sure why that is a problem.

Absolute worst case scenario is he gets waived and claimed if not claimed he's in LV.
    It's risk management\mitigation. No, obviously they should not play with 11 forwards. But they now have Lehtera, Weiss, Leier, and Weal competing for 2 spots and no place for another rookie to break in.

Let's say, for arguments sake, they like Vorobyov, Frost, and NAK to make the team out of camp. If they truly think all 3 of them have a chance, then there's a slim chance zero of them make it. If one of them does, there's no spot for them. If, again for argument's sake, they had let Leier walk, then even if all 3 failed to make the team they still would have had an extra forward. I don't see the downside.

Unless they really like Leier, but if that's the case, it would seem the coach feels otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by agentj View Post

They are at 13 forwards signed RIGHT NOW, not including Lindblom. So even if you send someone to LV that only opens up 1 spot for Lindblom. Which means you have no room for Frost or some other player without making a corresponding move. I just don't like that mode of operation. You can always go out and find a depth forward if you need it. Why create a situation where you have to jump through hoops and navigate around your own obstacles just to add a forward to the team that has proved they are ready.

It's the same thing on D. They have 6 signed right now not including Sanheim or Myers. So if they prove they are both ready, Hextall has to make a move. Why sign Frolin? What was the point of his addition. Because he is a RH Shot. So is Myers. He just creates obstacles for young players to make the team and I think he does it on purpose to "eliminate the risk of promoting them too early".