Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drew Doughty's Next Contract

CA in general is very nice but expensive. Weather is fantastic. Love the bay area in particular. Would do it in a heartbeat if we didn't want to be close to family.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Poulin228 View Post
    Yes the Flyers goaltending is closer to hot garbage than actual competency but you are talking having two exceptional defensemen being able to play 20+ minutes a night. With old Pronger and old Timonen, the Flyers almost won a cup with Leighton who is light years worse than either goalie the Flyers have now.
    So that's all the Flyers had in '10 was Pronger and an old Timonen? That was the key component to that run?

I've been told time and time and time again in here that run was "lightning in a bottle" anyway.

What about Hextall so far tells you that he will strip those assets out in trade for one player and then sign him to a $12 million/yr long term deal?

What happens on the back end of that deal when it's an albatross of epic proportions? You did see the lengths that LA and Ottawa had to go to in order to unload big contracts yesterday, right?

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mammothflyer View Post
    He started his career there. He lives on the beach, can wear shorts year round, and is treated like a super hero. The practice rink is 15 minutes away. He is a huge pot head and loves the organization. Why go anywhere else? He has money and two Stanley Cups. The only reason to leave would be to go home closer to family. These are facts.
    You said weed and a beach. Now we add in more variables complete with specific accusations of questionable personal behavior.

Again. FA destination #1 is LA and there's no arguing whatsoever nope every single one aspires to be there.

I think maybe you're into the weed a bit too much or the altitude is getting to you after all this time.

Quote Originally Posted by agentj View Post
    So that's all the Flyers had in '10 was Pronger and an old Timonen? That was the key component to that run?

I've been told time and time and time again in here that run was "lightning in a bottle" anyway.

What about Hextall so far tells you that he will strip those assets out in trade for one player and then sign him to a $12 million/yr long term deal?

What happens on the back end of that deal when it's an albatross of epic proportions? You did see the lengths that LA and Ottawa had to go to in order to unload big contracts yesterday, right?
    The Flyers has two great defensemen anchoring two solid pairs plus 3 scoring lines and a useful 4th line. So it wasn’t all they had but considering who they had in goal, Pronger and Timonen were critical for the success of that team.

As far as Hextall, he wouldn’t do the deal since he has no balls. He is a Cheveldayoff clone who will just draft and dumps free agents without actually trying to take a shot at contending. That why I expect him to dump a ton of money on a Simmonds extension because it’s safe and will screw up the cap that way down the line.

As far as hurting the cap down the line with a Doughty extension, it wouldn’t. Doughty will only be 37-38 when the deal ends. Timonen was still very effective at the age. Same a Niedermayer and Lidstrom. Doughty strikes me as the same caliber of player. I think Provorov could also be the same. Those two can become the pillars of the team. But Provorov won’t have to be extended to a huge amount until Voracek and Giroux are long gone. So the only thing a Doughty extension will do is hollow out some of the middle guys in the 4-5 million range but you have to continually draft well in the cap era to compete anyway.

You said weed and a beach. Now we add in more variables complete with specific accusations of questionable personal behavior.

Again. FA destination #1 is LA and there's no arguing whatsoever nope every single one aspires to be there.

I think maybe you're into the weed a bit too much or the altitude is getting to you after all this time.
    i have friends who work for the Kings and other friends who live on the same block as him, Matt Grreen and Martinez. Hermosa is a tight community. It is safe to say Doughty loves Hermosa and the Kings.

No idea what his contract would look like as I am not in charge of AEG's money but I think they pay him. They are supposed to give our town a million dollars towards a new rink. There are some details to be ironed out but it will be the highest training center in the country.

All Star
    The Flyers has two great defensemen anchoring two solid pairs plus 3 scoring lines and a useful 4th line. So it wasn’t all they had but considering who they had in goal, Pronger and Timonen were critical for the success of that team.

As far as Hextall, he wouldn’t do the deal since he has no balls. He is a Cheveldayoff clone who will just draft and dumps free agents without actually trying to take a shot at contending. That why I expect him to dump a ton of money on a Simmonds extension because it’s safe and will screw up the cap that way down the line.

As far as hurting the cap down the line with a Doughty extension, it wouldn’t. Doughty will only be 37-38 when the deal ends. Timonen was still very effective at the age. Same a Niedermayer and Lidstrom. Doughty strikes me as the same caliber of player. I think Provorov could also be the same. Those two can become the pillars of the team. But Provorov won’t have to be extended to a huge amount until Voracek and Giroux are long gone. So the only thing a Doughty extension will do is hollow out some of the middle guys in the 4-5 million range but you have to continually draft well in the cap era to compete anyway.
    Agreed.

So adding Doughty to this bunch not to mention subtracting whoever it would take to get him makes them contenders in comparison?

Sorry not seeing it.

Agreed.

So adding Doughty to this bunch not to mention subtracting whoever it would take to get him makes them contenders in comparison?

Sorry not seeing it.
    Ok.

In all honesty, when do you think this team will be contenders under the current plan?

After watching this season, it is apparent that the current coach has no stomach to live thru multiple rookie defensemen in the lineup. If you accept that it takes a defender about 3 years playing in the NHL to round out their game, much like Ghost has, then you are looking at 4 years from now just to get Sanheim and Myers at that point.

All Star
    Ok.

In all honesty, when do you think this team will be contenders under the current plan?

After watching this season, it is apparent that the current coach has no stomach to live thru multiple rookie defensemen in the lineup. If you accept that it takes a defender about 3 years playing in the NHL to round out their game, much like Ghost has, then you are looking at 4 years from now just to get Sanheim and Myers at that point.
    I believe Morin would have been in had he not suffered a litany of injuries. So IF he's fully recovered for next camp pencil him in. Maybe the 3/4 of a year and a hopefully long AHL playoff run for Sandheim gets him there also for next camp. Oh and BTW he was on the roster so you had 2 rookies (Haag and Sandheim), a 2nd year Provorov and Gostisbehere.

They could easily have an overabundance of young D next September ready or not coach "not stomaching it" or not. I didn't even include Myers in that list.

The point being is adding a Doughty to this bunch subtracting the pieces it would take to get him IF he was available which I highly doubt doesn't get them to a cup next year.

They are also missing a key component 2010 notwithstanding with is a lights out goalie. The closest ALLEGED one they might have is 2 years away ... and the shame is they had one and gave him away in Bobrovsky.

I believe Morin would have been in had he not suffered a litany of injuries. So IF he's fully recovered for next camp pencil him in. Maybe the 3/4 of a year and a hopefully long AHL playoff run for Sandheim gets him there also for next camp. Oh and BTW he was on the roster so you had 2 rookies (Haag and Sandheim), a 2nd year Provorov and Gostisbehere.

They could easily have an overabundance of young D next September ready or not coach "not stomaching it" or not. I didn't even include Myers in that list.

The point being is adding a Doughty to this bunch subtracting the pieces it would take to get him IF he was available which I highly doubt doesn't get them to a cup next year.

They are also missing a key component 2010 notwithstanding with is a lights out goalie. The closest ALLEGED one they might have is 2 years away ... and the shame is they had one and gave him away in Bobrovsky.
    OK so when are they cup contenders?

All Star
    OK so when are they cup contenders?
    I dont know and neither do you. The point is does trading away a bunch of assets for Doughty get you there next season as you stated. I say no you are free to disagree.