Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best defenseman on the Flyers

Philly Sports Forums LLC Senior Counsel FlyerDuke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyney View Post
    10/10. Subscribed.
    Originally Posted by DrunkenCoatsey
    This thread here, I'm pretty sure it what the Internet was made for. A never ending battle to summit Mt. Retard.

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    it's weird how Gost has become such a good dman over the last 20 games or so...what changed? hmmmm.....
    No, I think you misunderstood. Now that Ghost is playing more minutes, given more opportunity to play you can see how talented he is. Do you watch the game last night? Who was the best defensemen both offensively and defensively on the Flyers?

Most posters on the board obviously don't watch the games, and they brag about it also. They come to post (Flip, Zeus prime example) only to insult others.

Just as I mentioned a couple of months ago regarding the penalty killing. Soon you will see Ghost and Konecny killing penalties. They both can skate and make plays.

Quote Originally Posted by abstract View Post
    At 1 am.
    Have you heard of a PVR? It allows you to watch the game when you want? Check it out !

Tardien doubles down.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    Group 3 gonna Group 3.
    This is an insult to any other board's Group 3.

This bunch would be mocked out of HFboards.

There's more sensible hockey talk at any middle school lunch table than what these mooks bring.

Bow Down to the Timeout abstract's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDogKelly View Post
    Have you heard of a PVR? It allows you to watch the game when you want? Check it out !
    If you mean DVR, you may be able to rewind your comment and type it again. Check it out!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSlackDelta View Post
    You know how you can tell you've fucked up and sound like an idiot, when you've got people like Nora and I in complete agreement with each other on an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Provorov is 30th among NHL defensemen in points.
    3rd on his own team in +/- among defensemen, though a solid +8.
    His CF% is 11th on his own team at 49.36; his CF60/Rel is 11th at -0.93.
    For defensemen who have played 800 minutes in the NHL this year (which cuts out a lot), that ranks Provorov 59th in CF%. His -0.93 CF60/Rel ranks 65th among defensemen with 800 minutes.
    The top 10? Josi (14.6), Hamilton (12.76), Burns (12.18), Giordano (11.52), Karlsson (9.32), Rielly (7.96), Werenski (7.65), Suter (7.34), Doughty (7.05), Hanifin (6.75).
    Provorov has the 9th most turnovers among all defensemen in the league.

Just because he's 17th in TOI/game doesn't mean he's the 17th best defenseman in the league. That's circular logic. My point is that he has to play that much because he's the best the Flyers have, but *ideally* right now, in his 2nd season at age 21, he'd "probably be better off as a #2."

Unfortunately, the Flyers don't have a Pronger, or Josi, or Burns, or Karlsson, or Doughty, or Hedman, or Pietrangelo, etc. And Provorov may soon reach that level. But he's not there yet. He's terrific for his age and the best they've got, but he's not the stud, dominant #1 yet that Flyers fans seem to think. He still makes a ton of mistakes and is probably being asked to do a little too much because they don't have a better option.

I look forward to the usual twisting of my arguments out of its context, and quotes surrounding things that I didn't say.
    the argument isn't that he's the best dman in the league...of course there are better dmen that he could be a #2 to...largely the ones you mentioned which are essentially Norris candidates. You don't need to be a Norris finalist to be a #1 dman. Did you ever notice that every dman that plays with him magically improve their game tremendously? Now all the sudden Gost has turned the page and it's directly related to playing with Provorov which is not unlike Couturier playing with G...you play with better players and they tend to make you look better.

He has the most turnovers because he handles the puck against the top players every night in the toughest situations and drives the play by far more than anyone else. You know who has more turnovers than him Brent Burns, Carlson, Klingberg, Letang... If you are really going to analyze his effectiveness you need to look at clean zone exits because he makes more higher risk plays which often lead to clean zone exits as opposed to bouncing the puck off the glass or banging it up the boards. you would also need to look at attempts vs. giveaways because the # of giveaways alone might not mean much...looking at the number in a vacuum doesn't tell the whole story.

as far as CF...who's ahead of him and who do they play against vs. who he plays against....who gets the tougher zone starts? again, completely misleading.

Rookie
    I was awake in my hotel room on business trip last night as this thread was started. It was like watching a very old lady with a walker crossing 6 lanes of fast moving traffic from a 1/2 mile away. You want to help and to stop it but u know you can’t.....and it’s about to get bad.....

Quote Originally Posted by MadDogKelly View Post
    No, I think you misunderstood. Now that Ghost is playing more minutes, given more opportunity to play you can see how talented he is. Do you watch the game last night? Who was the best defensemen both offensively and defensively on the Flyers?

Most posters on the board obviously don't watch the games, and they brag about it also. They come to post (Flip, Zeus prime example) only to insult others.

Just as I mentioned a couple of months ago regarding the penalty killing. Soon you will see Ghost and Konecny killing penalties. They both can skate and make plays.
    you are a complete Provorov troll...you crawl out of the woodwork when he has a -2 but it's crickets every other day. If you can't see it I can't explain it to you. If Gost is so good at defending why isn't he on the PK? that's odd right? their PK is awful but they won't put their best defender out there???

He has 3 mins of PK time...not 3 mins per night, 3 minutes on the YEAR....Sam Morin played nearly 2 more minutes than in his 2 games played. Provorov averages per night what Gost has on the year in PK time. You are clueless.

This is the only sports message board that I know of where multiple posters have a clear agenda to see specific players fail. On their supposed favorite team, no less. I've never seen anything like this, not even on Reddit.