Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best defenseman on the Flyers

Quote Originally Posted by MadDogKelly View Post
    Wears number 53.

Best passer, skater, power play. Has dramatically improved his defense, and his hitting. Shows passion and desire to win.

Poor Ivan. Another poor game.

Now that Ghost plays next to him it obvious who is the better defenseman.
    Let me guess....you're one of those 70's era fans that still doesn't like Russians??

This is an uncomfortably bad thread. Yikes.

"#2 Caliber D"

11th in the league in Even strength TOI. 19:45 a night Only 5 of the 6 players above him have a + Rating. In Fact he is second to Drew Doughty... Since that's now a relevant stat.

17th in TOI per game - Ahead of a lot of guys people would consider "Legit #1" defenders. PK Subban, Ryan Mcdonagh, Zedeno Chara just to name a few.

27 points. Ahead of Ryan McDonagh, Dustin Bufuglien, Duncan Keith etc. 3 points from tying his rookie season numbers.

Oh... and he's 20.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange&Black View Post
    Let me guess....you're one of those 70's era fans that still doesn't like Russians??
    Or one of those newer fans that think his game day focus suffers after staying up all night trying to hack the DNC servers.

This board has really gone to shit.

Philly Sports Forums LLC Senior Counsel FlyerDuke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    "#2 Caliber D"

11th in the league in Even strength TOI. 19:45 a night Only 5 of the 6 players above him have a + Rating. In Fact he is second to Drew Doughty... Since that's now a relevant stat.

17th in TOI per game - Ahead of a lot of guys people would consider "Legit #1" defenders. PK Subban, Ryan Mcdonagh, Zedeno Chara just to name a few.

27 points. Ahead of Ryan McDonagh, Dustin Bufuglien, Duncan Keith etc. 3 points from tying his rookie season numbers.

Oh... and he's 20.

And the he’s 20 is the most amazing thing - doing all of that at such a young age

”he’s a #2” LMAO
    Originally Posted by DrunkenCoatsey
    This thread here, I'm pretty sure it what the Internet was made for. A never ending battle to summit Mt. Retard.

All Star
    Do people not watch the games? Brutal thread.

Ryan Kesler Fan Club President
    10/10. Subscribed.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyerDuke View Post
    LOL. I actually think Couturier should use cocaine - it may make him skate faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    not sure even coke would help with that.

Seasoned Veteran TherienLiesTheProblem's Avatar
    Provorov is 30th among NHL defensemen in points.
    3rd on his own team in +/- among defensemen, though a solid +8.
    His CF% is 11th on his own team at 49.36; his CF60/Rel is 11th at -0.93.
    For defensemen who have played 800 minutes in the NHL this year (which cuts out a lot), that ranks Provorov 59th in CF%. His -0.93 CF60/Rel ranks 65th among defensemen with 800 minutes.
    The top 10? Josi (14.6), Hamilton (12.76), Burns (12.18), Giordano (11.52), Karlsson (9.32), Rielly (7.96), Werenski (7.65), Suter (7.34), Doughty (7.05), Hanifin (6.75).
    Provorov has the 9th most turnovers among all defensemen in the league.

Just because he's 17th in TOI/game doesn't mean he's the 17th best defenseman in the league. That's circular logic. My point is that he has to play that much because he's the best the Flyers have, but *ideally* right now, in his 2nd season at age 21, he'd "probably be better off as a #2."

Unfortunately, the Flyers don't have a Pronger, or Josi, or Burns, or Karlsson, or Doughty, or Hedman, or Pietrangelo, etc. And Provorov may soon reach that level. But he's not there yet. He's terrific for his age and the best they've got, but he's not the stud, dominant #1 yet that Flyers fans seem to think. He still makes a ton of mistakes and is probably being asked to do a little too much because they don't have a better option.

I look forward to the usual twisting of my arguments out of its context, and quotes surrounding things that I didn't say.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    I hope Tiltp dies in a car accident or Jeff skinner gets concussed.

Seasoned Veteran
    Love cf% and per 60 stats
    Pussy Galore