Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Gost and Provorov among the top pairings in the NHL?

Are Gost and Provorov among the top pairings in the NHL?

I know it sounds crazy but since they were put together they've been terrific. I was thinking about it last night but these guys can essentially do it all as a pair...Gost is 5th and Provorov is 29th in scoring among defenders. Provorov is 5th in the league in blocked shots and 24th in hits and 18th in TOI/game (without significant PP time like nearly all above him in TOI). They move the puck incredibly well out of the zone, skate well, keep the puck in the offensive zone, are great in the neutral zone and standing up at the blue line.

You have Werenski/Seth Jones, Suter/Spurgeon and I think Provorov/Gost are in the conversation.

The best part is Gost is signed long term at 24 and Provorov will likely get locked up this summer at 21 years old.

Yes. Provorov and whoever his partner is at the time will always be among the top pairings in the league and for a very very long time. That't not taking away from Gostisbehere either. Hes been great, but Provorov and MacDonald were also one of the best pairings as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

Did you all see Gost lay that hit behind the net at the end of the game last night? I had to rewind a couple of times because I couldn't believe it was him ... and to also see the cheap shot elbow right in front of the ref that wasn't called.

Bow Down to the Timeout abstract's Avatar
    Moving the puck out of the zone efficiently can neutralize most teams' top lines. Look at the job that Nik Lidstrom and Larry Murphy did against the Legion of Doom in the Cup finals in 97. The two of them could never physically contain that line, but they got the puck out of the zone quickly and took that line completely out of the series.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSlackDelta View Post
    You know how you can tell you've fucked up and sound like an idiot, when you've got people like Nora and I in complete agreement with each other on an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    Did you all see Gost lay that hit behind the net at the end of the game last night? I had to rewind a couple of times because I couldn't believe it was him ... and to also see the cheap shot elbow right in front of the ref that wasn't called.
    ha...I did the same exact thing..he also stepped up at the offensive blue line earlier in game and delivered a hit...was very happily surprised.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by abstract View Post
    Moving the puck out of the zone efficiently can neutralize most teams' top lines. Look at the job that Nik Lidstrom and Larry Murphy did against the Legion of Doom in the Cup finals in 97. The two of them could never physically contain that line, but they got the puck out of the zone quickly and took that line completely out of the series.
    Konstatinov was their physical stud on the blueline, great mix of talent and grit on that club.

Seasoned Veteran TherienLiesTheProblem's Avatar
    It's a great pairing. I think fans probably overrate Provorov a little bit -- that's not a knock on him; he's the best they've got and he's a workhorse, but he's not Pronger or Desjardins yet. I think he'll get to Desjardins, which would be huge. He just turned 21 and is in his 2nd season. What he's accomplished is yeoman's work. On a Cup contender, right now, he'd probably be best as a #2, but he's the horse for this team and hopefully he can take that next step with all of the experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    I hope Tiltp dies in a car accident or Jeff skinner gets concussed.

Provorov is overrated and not a #1. You heard here first.
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

Philly Sports Forums LLC Senior Counsel FlyerDuke's Avatar
    It's a great pairing. I think fans probably overrate Provorov a little bit -- that's not a knock on him; he's the best they've got and he's a workhorse, but he's not Pronger or Desjardins yet. I think he'll get to Desjardins, which would be huge. He just turned 21 and is in his 2nd season. What he's accomplished is yeoman's work. On a Cup contender, right now, he'd probably be best as a #2, but he's the horse for this team and hopefully he can take that next step with all of the experience.
    Originally Posted by DrunkenCoatsey
    This thread here, I'm pretty sure it what the Internet was made for. A never ending battle to summit Mt. Retard.

saying he's not a HOFer isn't a leap but saying he's not a #1 is. He's among the league leaders blocks, TOI, top 30 in scoring despite not being on PP1 but more importantly than all of that is that he plays all the hard minutes against all the best players in the league every night and he's a +10 player. among those that play more mins / night than he does you have Doughty +21, Suter -4, Ristolainen -13, Karlsson -26, Erik Johnson +4, Carlson -4, Hedman +23, Letang -15, Pietrangelo +13, Burns -22, Weber -8, Spurgeon -2, Seth Jones _3, Roman Josi +7, Giordano +8, Yandle +2... So all those players that play more mins each night than he does against the other teams top lines only 3 have a better +/-. I don't know how you define a #1 dman but he's the definition of it.