Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nolan Patrick - is he turning the corner?

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    We waited 6 years for Couturier to play at a level he was projected. It took Schenn about 5.
    Player development and performance is also impacted by opportunities and roles.

Schenn never had a stable line here in Philly and the main place he shone was on a consistent high end PP unit - once he got there he shone as a PP guy, but still was inconsistent 5 on 5. He looked great this year on a stud line with Schwartz and Tarasenko ... was that because it took that long to develop his 5 on 5 game too or because it was the right opportunity.

The same can be said for Couturier. He showed flashes in the past when he stayed healthy and had quality linemates, but he never had stable scoring line opportunities in past. Given at least 1 quality linemate and 1st unit PP time, now he's a scoring machine - top 5 in the league. Is that sudden development or more about a change in opportunity?

Ya, player development takes time, but it varies between players, and 5 to 6 years is more the anomaly than the expectation in today's NHL that keeps getting younger and younger.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
    As long as Homer is here, there is no way in hell that either Carter or Richards are moved.
    http://www.phillysportsforums.com/fo...quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MnchstrCityBlues79 http://www.phillysportsforums.com/fo...post-right.png
    Fuck off. I'm a fan, derived from fanaticism. Not born in reason or logic but in passion and dedication. If you don't believe in the intangibles and immeasurables then you are one miserable fuck.

All Star
    Look, the Schenn traded sucked. I think we can put that discussion to bed.

I hate kicking the can down the road, but the reality is we don't have a goalie on the roster right now who is capable of winning. We would be better but not cup winning even if we had Schenn this year. Until one of the young goalies steps onto this roster and gives us winning goaltending, we aren't winning crap. No matter where in the road the can is located. Period.
    TarheelFlyer

Seasoned Veteran TherienLiesTheProblem's Avatar
    Patrick is at least an NHL player now. He’s on the right track. I think many of us expected a very slow transition. Good to see him actually making some plays now.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    I hope Tiltp dies in a car accident or Jeff skinner gets concussed.

Patrick is fine, his progression while be quicker than ***** for sure. Replace Weal with a legit scoring winger and his numbers go up significantly.

All Star
    Might be the worst 1-2 pick ever.

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphi...eady-big-steps
    About to 'get after it,' Nolan Patrick ready for 'big steps'

By Jordan Hall | NBC Sports Philadelphia May 06, 2018 9:00 AM
    Nolan Patrick is no slouch in the strength and speed departments.
    The 19-year-old is 6-foot-2, 198 pounds and showed deceptive bursts of giddy-up during his rookie season as the games grew bigger.
    Imagine him after a full summer of training?
    Patrick, already polished when it comes to being in front of the cameras, had his arms crossed and usual game face on — despite little emotion, he was picturing it.
    "It's exciting. First time I can get after it," he said last week at his end-of-the-season press conference. "It's going to be a big summer for me. I'm not satisfied with how the year was or how my year was, so I'm looking to take big steps here."
    Summer is a precious time for hockey players. It's when they can hammer away at specific areas to improve, especially with their bodies and skill sets.
    Patrick hasn't been so lucky. His past two summers were marred by surgery and recovery. Prior to his final junior season and all-important draft year, Patrick underwent sports hernia surgery. Then, last June, he had abdominal surgery 10 days before the Flyers selected him No. 2 overall.
    Sounds like this is the summer of Nolan Patrick.
    "I'm just excited to be able to move," Patrick said. "I couldn't even run last summer. I only had about a month last summer to train, so I'm really excited to take a couple weeks off and then get after it. It's going to be some tough work but I'm excited for it."
    Aside from moving and getting stronger, Patrick wants to focus on his shot this offseason while working with his skills coach. Last summer, so much was just about getting on the ice and being prepared enough for training camp.
    Once Patrick started gaining back his mobility post surgery and following a nine-game absence because of a concussion, the big-bodied center turned it on, solidifying his role as the team's second-line center and joining the first-unit power play.
    With each game, Patrick became more and more conspicuous. When the playoffs arrived, he was one of the Flyers' best forwards during the first-round exit to the Penguins.
    "I think it was pretty noticeable when I got confident, I was a different player out there," Patrick said. "It was a big part of my game."
    In Patrick's first 40 contests, he put up nine points (three goals, six assists) and a minus-3 rating. Over his final 33 regular-season games, he finished with 21 points (10 goals, 11 assists) and a plus-4 mark.
    "You just saw as the year went on, he got comfortable and confident and you started to see exactly why he was the second overall pick," Travis Konecny said. "He's a pretty unique player, not a lot of guys like him — big body, really good hands and pretty reliable."
    Sean Couturier, a player with Patrick's type of two-way, all-around game, sees the future with him.
    "He's another one of the guys who's just going to take over this team eventually and lead us," Couturier said. "He's got a lot of talent. He's smart. He's really mature for his age. Just the way he plays, the way he handles himself on and off the ice."
    That should only improve this offseason. And if Patrick needs any motivation, he can recall his last two summers and how it impacted the introduction of his NHL dream.
    "It was a bad start for me. I wasn't doing much to help the team win," Patrick said. "I kind of turned it around as much as I could and tried to contribute as much as I could. No excuses for you guys this summer for next year's start. It's going to be a big summer for me."

Philly Sports Forums LLC Senior Counsel FlyerDuke's Avatar
    Member when a certain someone told us he couldn’t skate? I member.
    Originally Posted by DrunkenCoatsey
    This thread here, I'm pretty sure it what the Internet was made for. A never ending battle to summit Mt. Retard.

Last years start was expected IMO, considering the surgeries he had. Ending the year healthy and not having to waste time rehabbing is huge in any sport. He should have a very solid year next season, and really help with secondary scoring.

Now, if only about the goalie situation....

He should be the top line center if they do not get Tavares, by the end of the season he showed much more promise than *****.