Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nolan Patrick - is he turning the corner?

Nolan Patrick - is he turning the corner?

It's been a really tough and disappointing season so far for Patrick. I think everyone has been patient and realize that it's likely the surgery that has contributed to the really slow start to his career. Last night might have been the first time all season he seemed to be up on the play, creating plays and the goal he scored was great using his size and strength.

At times throughout the season you could see the vision when someone got him the puck on his stick and then he'd distributed it but rarely did he create anything on his own. I still think the playoffs are unlikely but they are right in the mix at this point. If they are going to have any shot they need that 3rd line to start contributing on a regular basis. Weal has looked A LOT better over the past half dozen games and if Patrick can get going and help balance the scoring who knows.

Next step would be to call up Lindblom at some point bump Raffl to the 4th and sit that slug Lehtera.

Bow Down to the Timeout abstract's Avatar
    I honestly didn't expect anything from him this season given the surgery and how long it's taken Giroux and Gostisbehere to rebound from it. If he can round into some type of production form, fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSlackDelta View Post
    You know how you can tell you've fucked up and sound like an idiot, when you've got people like Nora and I in complete agreement with each other on an issue.

He seems to be slowly turning the corner. I'm sure the injury recovery is most of his problem. Good for H & H for keeping him in the lineup to give him the important reps he needs so he can hit the ground running next year when he's healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by abstract View Post
    I honestly didn't expect anything from him this season given the surgery and how long it's taken Giroux and Gostisbehere to rebound from it. If he can round into some type of production form, fantastic.
    I think both G and Gost started to much more like themselves at around the 3/4 mark last year if I remember correctly...hoping the same is true with Nolan. If they can get another guy that can move the puck and have good size it could make things interesting.

I don't think he has "Turned the corner" and I dont think you will see that until next season. Is he adjusting to the NHL a bit, yes - but I don't think he is playing at near the level he projected to as a draft pick. Needs a full season to get healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    I don't think he has "Turned the corner" and I dont think you will see that until next season. Is he adjusting to the NHL a bit, yes - but I don't think he is playing at near the level he projected to as a draft pick. Needs a full season to get healthy.
    agreed that he hasn't played near the level you'd hope for from a top pick. when we went to the devils game last week my wife was like "wow, Nico is light years ahead of Patrick" and it's true....hasn't been close. I'm hoping this is a Joe Thornton type rookie year.

We waited 6 years for Couturier to play at a level he was projected. It took Schenn about 5. That's why I get frustrated when you get all hard over the prospects. They very rarely plugin and make the team better. Konecney is taking time to develop. Frost will take time. That's why I am sick of kicking the can down the road. The Flyers are supposed to be supplementing a core with these kids. But trading away solid polished players only prolongs the "process".
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

Don't think he's turned the corner yet, but he's starting to look more comfortable out there (some games) and I notice him making nice little subtle plays more often. Was at the game last night and definitely noticed him a few times even before he scored. Hustled hard for the puck and showed a decent burst a few times I haven't seen from him yet this season, so hopefully he's getting healthier as well.

A long way to go and still very inconsistent... obviously you would hope for more from the 2nd round pick, but everyone knew it was a weak draft.

He's looking much better. Faster, sharper. Was awesome out working for that puck on the goal. Still a ways to go but its encouraging to see improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    We waited 6 years for Couturier to play at a level he was projected. It took Schenn about 5. That's why I get frustrated when you get all hard over the prospects. They very rarely plugin and make the team better. Konecney is taking time to develop. Frost will take time. That's why I am sick of kicking the can down the road. The Flyers are supposed to be supplementing a core with these kids. But trading away solid polished players only prolongs the "process".
    those are fair points but there are a number of players throughout the league (look at Boston/NJ) where young guys are having more immediate impacts...just because some of the Flyers past prospects have taken some time doesn't mean they will all take that much time to produce. Each player is different. The best thing you can do is try and pick good players, develop them and hope they can contribute sooner rather than later.