Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes sold for 505 MILLION LMAO!

Philly Sports Forums LLC Senior Counsel FlyerDuke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agentj View Post
    FLIP was so right in his rankings.
    Originally Posted by DrunkenCoatsey
    This thread here, I'm pretty sure it what the Internet was made for. A never ending battle to summit Mt. Retard.

FLIP was so right in his rankings.
    You really have to bring it to rank higher than The Mastiff !!

Suffers from Woot Nuts Disease bmp1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourtenderloins View Post
    1. The team didn't sell for 505 million, they are valued at 505 million.
    2. He's buying 52 percent of the team with the option to buy the rest. So he won't be buying the team for 505 million.
    3. It hasn't been finalized yet. They are expected to close today, on the 52 percent.
    1. wrong - the team was valued at $550M
    2. wrong - 61%
    3. correct

Even before the sale went through Thursday afternoon, giving him 61 percent of the team in a deal that valued the franchise at $550 million,
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/s...194260614.html
    “Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.”

Mark Twain on the members of Capitol Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by bmp1 View Post
    1. wrong - the team was valued at $550M
    2. wrong - 61%
    3. correct
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/s...194260614.html

to be fair, the original article was updated with the final confirmed information after YTL posted

Hockey Threads! It's a Miracle!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyersailor View Post
    I would love to see the Flyers sold to a person who loves the sport and the team. This is what happens to a franchise when a corporation owns it.
    If I had put $5000 in bitcoin back in 2010 I'd be buying the Flyers.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange&Black View Post
    You really have to bring it to rank higher than The Mastiff !!
    “Tax shield”

Philly Sports Forums LLC Senior Counsel FlyerDuke's Avatar
    “Tax shield”

Originally Posted by DrunkenCoatsey
    This thread here, I'm pretty sure it what the Internet was made for. A never ending battle to summit Mt. Retard.

Oh stop with facts and logic.

Everything orange and black and an ice surface is no good, sucks, no one cares, ownership doesn't know anything, is a tax "write-off" etc etc etc etc etc.

Far better to have an operation like the Coyotes combined with a fanbase like the Florida Panthers.

I assume that posters in here would be thrilled then.
    AJ, you probably know the deal as well as anyone. how would you describe the state of the center these days? i had heard they recently improved areas of the building and made a pretty significant investment in doing so. do you agree? also, ed snider has said many, many times they play they regular season to break even and their profit is in the playoffs. i know he said that several years ago but do you think things have changed that significantly? last question, do you think the fan base here is truly any better than the panthers or whomever? surely you must agree we are the 4th largest metropolitan market in the country, dwarfing the panthers or tampa or whomever, so there are more potential fans. and that we benefit greatly from that?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyerDuke View Post
    Dag, while some posters like to bash you, when they mature they will learn to take your posts not as opinion or prediction, but as fact.

“I don’t know if it was food poisoning or flu or what,” Richards said. “I just didn’t feel very well.”

Quote Originally Posted by TheTalkingMule View Post
    I'm lost.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by dagwood2001 View Post
    AJ, you probably know the deal as well as anyone. how would you describe the state of the center these days? i had heard they recently improved areas of the building and made a pretty significant investment in doing so. do you agree? also, ed snider has said many, many times they play they regular season to break even and their profit is in the playoffs. i know he said that several years ago but do you think things have changed that significantly? last question, do you think the fan base here is truly any better than the panthers or whomever? surely you must agree we are the 4th largest metropolitan market in the country, dwarfing the panthers or tampa or whomever, so there are more potential fans. and that we benefit greatly from that?
    All midlevel suites are completely renovated and very nicely so. Huge (in comparison) and very comfortable leather seats, new restroom, reconfigured lounge area with a hightop bar and stools, giant flatscreen, tech friendly outlets, etc. They are very well set up for corporate entertainment, etc. Sat in one last Saturday courtesy of the Flyers. My wife (who is pretty picky about our seats hence my grille seats when for a lot less I could sit one row lower in 117 instead of CC117) was really really impressed. They are all leased currently I know because I asked for a quote on a half season there are none available for next year. BTW they are $100,000 for the season Flyers only, $200,000 for the Flyers and Sixers per season. 12 seats per game, 4 parking passes and a food voucher. He's going to see if he can find a fit with an entity that would split their existing contract with me. I haven't done the math for that versus my 6 seats but at first glance it's pretty close and it's a suite not a club box.

Balcony suites will be renovated this year, then a staged renovation/conversion of the club boxes after that including reconfiguration of the Cadillac Grille section, etc. The final details on these are not yet finalized, I've seen a couple different proposed layouts and there will be considerable money spent no matter what.

I do not agree that the building is falling down or in "disrepair".

Your Snider comments were made before a salary cap. You have to get off that it's from a time long past. Also before a huge expansion fee windfall (with another on the way) In another thread in here the Forbes chart was posted that showed the Flyers very profitable WITHOUT playoffs since there haven't been any lately. Also ST and club box/suite prices have risen since he said that. Certain seats/locations went down, I got a killer deal (relatively speaking of course) on my club box contract when I committed to a 5 year deal this is my last year on that contract. But it was more than my first contract (3 year) made pre salary cap days.

The PAYING fan base is obviously better than the Panthers and others look at their attendance vs the Flyers. Are there ST available here? Yes indeed. Mostly upstairs. Can you get cheap tix for most games in the aftermarket? You bet. And they still are profitable without every seat sold as a ST or partial plan.

IF Comcast was going to sell why would they have bought out the Snider family interest so quickly? That would have been the time to sell the whole shooting match ... before pouring money into upgrading the Center piece by piece. I don't see them cheaping out on the roster, there have been no "whispers" or rumors about Comcast stepping in to nix player deals/trades/contracts. There's no talk of Hextall having to go to whoever the "boss" is like the Tampa GM or the Ottawa GM, etc etc. No talk of a "self imposed" cap below that of the salary cap.

You have to understand this too that the Flyers, Sixers, etc are not an island onto themselves when you consider that building is utilized for concerts/shows/etc that are tied into the ST base especially the Club Box Contracts and Suite holders. If I showed you my spreadsheet on concert tickets and the profit potential that presents itself for popular acts you wouldn't believe it. ACCESS to these events months in advance is worth every bit of that premium services contract. It's all tied together so folks who think that Comcast looks solely at the Flyers in a vacuum is incorrect. It's all intertwined and connected. They are making money on that building hand over fist. Take last weekend, Sixers Friday night, Flyers Sat 1:00, Villanova Sat 8:00 Flyers Sun 1:00. Parking, food, beer, Cadillac Grille, concessions, fan stores, etc etc etc. they get a cut or the whole sway straight up. It's a license to print money. Why in god's name would they sell unless someone blew them out of the water with an offer?

Could things be better you bet.

But I guarantee you that a couple playoff years and folks will be back stronger than ever and the playoffs will sell out as they always do anyway. Everyone loves a winner. Look at the Phillies last couple of years talk about a fair weather fan base holy fuck they can't give tickets away. How about the Sixers "fanbase" the last 5 years or so? Last couple of years if there was a Flyers 1:00 and a Sixers 7:30 on a Saturday the Grille manager would come around after the Flyers game with pocketfuls of Club Box tickets for the Sixers free if you wanted to stay. Now they are on the upswing and good for them, I actually went to a game earlier this year and while I don't particularly like the sport it was a good time.

It's no where near as dark as you and some of the others paint it. Not even close.

It's no where near as dark as you and some of the others paint it. Not even close.
    I think the majority of the "doom and gloom" posting is about the NHL in general, not the Flyers specifically.
    How funky is your chicken? How funky is your chicken?
    How loose is your goose? Our goose is totally loose.....
    So c'mon all you Flyer fans.......c'mon all you Flyer fans
    And shake your Caboose !! Shake your Caboose !!