Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Why is this team not a contender?

Seasoned Veteran TherienLiesTheProblem's Avatar
    Whether or not they were “considered” a contender, they WERE a contender.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    I hope Tiltp dies in a car accident or Jeff skinner gets concussed.

Philly Sports Forums LLC Senior Counsel FlyerDuke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Whether or not they were “considered” a contender, they WERE a contender.
    I hate to do it, but I agree with

on this.
    Originally Posted by DrunkenCoatsey
    This thread here, I'm pretty sure it what the Internet was made for. A never ending battle to summit Mt. Retard.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by bmp1 View Post
    I don't think they were considered contenders, they got hot, lightning in a bottle. The loss of Pronger didn't cost them the SCF, the fact they had a weak team, and soft goaltending cost them a title.
    Like I said, they weren't considered contenders.
    Went to the East Final in '08. Back again in '10.
    Certainly were a contender.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    Tardien and Fuzz tell us that Couturier has rejuvenated Giroux, he is now one of the game's top players all of the sudden a decade into his career because of this new found gear we never knew Giroux had.

Tardien has been touting Elliot as a perfectly fine goalie. No issues there.

Elliot is only to be outdone by mr Vezina himself, Neuvirth - according to banger.

Shayne Gostisbehere is an elite player on his way to a Norris trophy (based on point totals and not being a complete abortion in his own end)

The Flyers traded away one of the Game's best players and have thus far been able to match last seasons torrid scoring pace.

So tell me - what's wrong with this team?

Oh and everyone's favorite stat all of the sudden is +/- Almost all of the flyers are even or a + (which is ironic because someone on this board infamously had no idea how it was calculated)

I look forward to all answers from groups 1,2 and especially 3.
    1) No matter how you shuffle this group of forwards, you basically can't make 2 consistently productive lines.

2) Not enough size (with talent). They're small and passive. You don't have to throw hands and run people over all night long, but you have to win physical battles to the net, just as much as you have to control the puck. Team's sometimes give you the outside...they never "give" you the middle. There's way too many guys who are content with having good possession stats and not fighting for what's not "given".

3) PK has been, and remains, hot garbage

4) Hakstol. Plain and simple, when your team goes on a 10 game skid, where they have leads in the majority of games, yet lose, either the players aren't performing (which falls on the coach, especially during a stretch that long) or it falls on the coach, for not calling a calming timeout or coaching aggressively rather than coaching them "not to lose". If they win 3-4 of those 10, which would have been possible, as flawed as they are, they'd be in a playoff spot.
    Much like Ron Hextall, I will not mortgage my future posts on rental posts.