Strict Standards: Static function vB_Route::getURL() should not be abstract in /home/psfadmin/public_html/forums/vb/route.php on line 428
Why is this team not a contender?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is this team not a contender?

Why is this team not a contender?

Tardien and Fuzz tell us that Couturier has rejuvenated Giroux, he is now one of the game's top players all of the sudden a decade into his career because of this new found gear we never knew Giroux had.

Tardien has been touting Elliot as a perfectly fine goalie. No issues there.

Elliot is only to be outdone by mr Vezina himself, Neuvirth - according to banger.

Shayne Gostisbehere is an elite player on his way to a Norris trophy (based on point totals and not being a complete abortion in his own end)

The Flyers traded away one of the Game's best players and have thus far been able to match last seasons torrid scoring pace.

So tell me - what's wrong with this team?

Oh and everyone's favorite stat all of the sudden is +/- Almost all of the flyers are even or a + (which is ironic because someone on this board infamously had no idea how it was calculated)

I look forward to all answers from groups 1,2 and especially 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

secondary scoring and a much better penalty kill...I don't know if it's the killers or the system or combination of both but what was a bad unit is now terrible (29th).

they need depth of scoring...I believe they were counting on Konecny (5), Lindblom (0), Patrick (2) and Weal (5) to provide scoring and as I said in another thread last week that they were surely counting on 2-3 times more out of those players. They are a 2 line team and need to be a 4 line team like most teams are these days...the bottom 6 while not horrible defensively just isn't putting enough points on the board.

The defense, goaltending, PP, 5 on 5 play have all be fine/good.

The PK?

Oh, and generally they play like a bunch of sissys.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    Oh, and generally they play like a bunch of sissys.
    nearly every team plays that way these days.

Philly Sports Forums LLC Senior Counsel FlyerDuke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    Oh and everyone's favorite stat all of the sudden is +/- Almost all of the flyers are even or a + (which is ironic because someone on this board infamously had no idea how it was calculated)
    Originally Posted by DrunkenCoatsey
    This thread here, I'm pretty sure it what the Internet was made for. A never ending battle to summit Mt. Retard.

Theyre not contenders because their defense is young with two rookies and a sophomore playing 22+ a night, no secondary scoring, a horrible PK and both Simmonds and Patrick have played most of the season hurt or at least hampered by their injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    Theyre not contenders because their defense is young with two rookies and a sophomore playing 22+ a night, no secondary scoring, a horrible PK and both Simmonds and Patrick have played most of the season hurt or at least hampered by their injuries.

Their defense has nothing to do with them not being a contender. I actually think it is a strength.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

Secondary scoring is often times invisible.
    PK is godawful
    Team still hasn't shown me they can be tough and stand up for each other
    Young D still prone to many defensive breakdowns.
    Elliot is not consistent--period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniperz25 View Post
    So even Eric Lindros thinks you're a fucking tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    JVR can eat the peanuts out of my shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    nearly every team plays that way these days.
    Not true. Being in Tampa I happened to catch some Lighting games this season and one of the reasons they're having success is their overall team toughness. Even some of the smaller, skilled guys are not afraid to drop the gloves on a regular basis. The last game they beat Detroit on the scoreboard and also won a couple of fights. The Flyers don't play like that at all and it's one of the reasons they are losing.