Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: According to Isaac - Flyers courting Dean Lombardi - not Fraudien Friendly

  1. #21
    Seasoned Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Isle Of Malta
    Posts
    5,305
    not sure sutter would do any better with this group. marginally maybe.

    I want to see the coach come back hopefully with better players. is he perfect, no. Can he learn form some things he didn't do well last year? I hope. I want to give him a chance as his first year was good. Don't want a retread unless that retread coach, like a sutter, is the missing piece so to speak
    Pussy Galore

  2. #22
    sometimes people learn from their mistakes as well...or if he doesn't perhaps Hextall will. The key is to be able to cut bait with players at the right time...I know it's easier said than done but the LA and Chicago models are very similar...the difference being that the Hawks will cut bait with players whereas perhaps Lombardi was a bit too emotional and less clinical in his decision making.

    If he can help the Flyers continue to pick good prospects that can become good NHLers I'm all for bringing him in...just keep him away from the extensions.

  3. #23
    Didn't Holmgren give Carter that extension? (Which, in retrospect, was very reasonable cap-wise)

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by MSP View Post
    Didn't Holmgren give Carter that extension? (Which, in retrospect, was very reasonable cap-wise)
    yes

  5. #25
    Moon Blard FLiP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Manayunk
    Posts
    41,840
    If carter can some how score 161 goals over the next 5 years he cements his already 50/50 HOF induction. I think he gets in with 400 goals though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Trigger Warning
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...-8#q=ManVsRice

  6. #26
    Bow Down to the Timeout abstract's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    37,517
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    If carter can some how score 161 goals over the next 5 years he cements his already 50/50 HOF induction. I think he gets in with 400 goals though.
    One 50 goal season would seal it for him. Another 40 goal season gets him to 75/25.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSlackDelta View Post
    You know how you can tell you've fucked up and sound like an idiot, when you've got people like Nora and I in complete agreement with each other on an issue.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    If carter can some how score 161 goals over the next 5 years he cements his already 50/50 HOF induction. I think he gets in with 400 goals though.
    I was chastised relentlessly on my support for Carter while he was here and while on paper he may fit the criteria I just don't think he gets in. He's a quiet player and if you went as asked 50 hockey fans from all different teams if he should be in the HOF I don't know that 25% would automatically say "yes". You may then be able to do comparisons to other players and convince some based on the stats but to me it comes down to was he ever thought of as being the best or nearly the best in the entire game. I don't think so....he never really seems like he was "the guy" that a team was built around. He's a hell of a player, very consistent, stays healthy and I'm glad he's getting his due but I doubt he makes it in.

  8. #28
    Hockey Threads! It's a Miracle!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In cryogenic state
    Posts
    18,140
    I don't care if Lombardi came here and signed 20 crack addicts ... I want to see a Cup hoisted by the Flyers before I die.

    How many of us would love to be in the CAP hell the Kings currently are in if it meant two Cups in the past 5 years?

    It's possible to draft and build a Cup winning team but I don't care what you say it's near impossible in today's league to KEEP that team together without luck. Players like Quick, Kopitar, Crosby, Giroux want the money. If you don't give it to them some other team will overpay them. Look at Suter and Praise in Minnesota. Both got way overpaid and that team can never get past the second round. Chicago won in 2010 and had to let guys walk but got lucky with some cheap rookies that allowed them to win more Cups. This year's Chicago didn't get so lucky and they are now facing the same thing the Kings are facing.

    The days of Dynasties are long over in the NHL.

  9. #29
    Moon Blard FLiP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Manayunk
    Posts
    41,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    I was chastised relentlessly on my support for Carter while he was here and while on paper he may fit the criteria I just don't think he gets in. He's a quiet player and if you went as asked 50 hockey fans from all different teams if he should be in the HOF I don't know that 25% would automatically say "yes". You may then be able to do comparisons to other players and convince some based on the stats but to me it comes down to was he ever thought of as being the best or nearly the best in the entire game. I don't think so....he never really seems like he was "the guy" that a team was built around. He's a hell of a player, very consistent, stays healthy and I'm glad he's getting his due but I doubt he makes it in.
    Hockey fans do not have a HOF vote.

    Carter lead the Canada U18 team to their first ever gold in the WJC
    Carter is tied with Eric Lindros with 12 Goals for the Canadian All-time record at the WJC... Lindros played 1 more tournament than Carter. (Gold and Silver)
    Carter won Olympic gold with Canada at the Olympics
    Calder Cup Winner
    2 time Stanley cup winner.

    You don't get that kind of hardware consistently at every level, by being a Robin. He has been a major part of Championship winning teams at every level and he is one of the best 2 way players in the league. Legitimately, not in a Couturier sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Trigger Warning
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...-8#q=ManVsRice

  10. #30
    Hockey Threads! It's a Miracle!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    In cryogenic state
    Posts
    18,140
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    Hockey fans do not have a HOF vote.

    Carter lead the Canada U18 team to their first ever gold in the WJC
    Carter is tied with Eric Lindros with 12 Goals for the Canadian All-time record at the WJC... Lindros played 1 more tournament than Carter. (Gold and Silver)
    Carter won Olympic gold with Canada at the Olympics
    Calder Cup Winner
    2 time Stanley cup winner.

    You don't get that kind of hardware consistently at every level, by being a Robin. He has been a major part of Championship winning teams at every level and he is one of the best 2 way players in the league. Legitimately, not in a Couturier sense.
    If Clarke Giles is in the HOF then Carter is a slam dunk.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •