Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stars trade for Bishop...he will likely sign there

Seasoned Veteran TherienLiesTheProblem's Avatar
    I'm just going to have to trust Hextall with the goalie situation. You'd think that's one position he should be able to evaluate. Aside from the very elite netminders in the league, it seems like a crapshoot which backups have hot seasons and cold seasons. The Nilsson guy you mention from Buffalo I thought wasn't even NHL caliber for years, I had seen him look horrible a number of times, and then out of nowhere he put up good stats for Buffalo. But a lot of these backups only play 25ish games in a season, and perhaps against cherry picked competition, so I don't know how much their numbers are reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    I hope Tiltp dies in a car accident or Jeff skinner gets concussed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    I'm just going to have to trust Hextall with the goalie situation. You'd think that's one position he should be able to evaluate. Aside from the very elite netminders in the league, it seems like a crapshoot which backups have hot seasons and cold seasons. The Nilsson guy you mention from Buffalo I thought wasn't even NHL caliber for years, I had seen him look horrible a number of times, and then out of nowhere he put up good stats for Buffalo. But a lot of these backups only play 25ish games in a season, and perhaps against cherry picked competition, so I don't know how much their numbers are reliable.
    It scares me that Hexall's idea is to sort of moneyball this situation and go with 2 sub par goaltenders until Hart is ready. Hart is 18, not 22 and assuming he's going to be the starter within a year or two is also dangerous, in spite of his numbers.

I feel like, with all positions, Hextall is essentially assuming the highest and best results for all of these prospects. Don't go out and get a high end player, because we have a prospect that'll be that good soon. Don't go out and get a goalie, because we have a prospect that'll be ready in a few years. Don't go make any deals, because the guys we have can be better. Don't get a proven coach, because the coach we have will develop into a great one.

There's a lot of this plan, including this goaltending plan, that relies completely on hope and things breaking exactly correctly. I'd much sooner be in Pittsburgh's spot or in the spot Anaheim was in, where they had Andersen and Gibson than in a spot where we have Neuvirth and another mediocre goalie, hoping someone eventually develops.
    Much like Ron Hextall, I will not mortgage my future posts on rental posts.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by zeusam View Post
    Which is why signing him for 2 years is mind altering idiotic.
    yes it was, plus a raise to boot.
    Pussy Galore

Seasoned Veteran TherienLiesTheProblem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidal22 View Post
    It scares me that Hexall's idea is to sort of moneyball this situation and go with 2 sub par goaltenders until Hart is ready. Hart is 18, not 22 and assuming he's going to be the starter within a year or two is also dangerous, in spite of his numbers.

I feel like, with all positions, Hextall is essentially assuming the highest and best results for all of these prospects. Don't go out and get a high end player, because we have a prospect that'll be that good soon. Don't go out and get a goalie, because we have a prospect that'll be ready in a few years. Don't go make any deals, because the guys we have can be better. Don't get a proven coach, because the coach we have will develop into a great one.

There's a lot of this plan, including this goaltending plan, that relies completely on hope and things breaking exactly correctly. I'd much sooner be in Pittsburgh's spot or in the spot Anaheim was in, where they had Andersen and Gibson than in a spot where we have Neuvirth and another mediocre goalie, hoping someone eventually develops.
    What other option does Hextall have? What reliable #1 option is out there? None, in my book. Everything out there is a crapshoot. Mason's not reliable and used his post season press conference to make excuses and bitch about how he was used. Re-sign him and you could easily get another up-and-down, .908 season and be locked into him for too many years and too much $$$.

There isn't a great option, so I'm just going to have to hope Hextall makes the right evaluation on his FA choice. Bernier wouldn't surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    I hope Tiltp dies in a car accident or Jeff skinner gets concussed.

Halak and Fluery will likely be available via trade as well.

Niemi is probably going to get bought out, but he sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal22 View Post

All plans rely, to an extent, on things breaking correctly.

The kings drafted Quick in '05 and Bernier in '06. They had no idea which one would end up being a stud goalie, but the more bullets in the gun, the better chance for a hit. Hextall's "plan" was to draft a lot of goalies, and see which one(s) actually become a stud. If any. Right now, he has 3 bonafide potential starters in the pool.

Hell, the example you gave of Andersen and Gibson, when they were drafted (a year apart) the Ducks had Hiller as a true #1, but kinda limped along with him until andersen hit, and then gibson after him. Kinda how the flyers have been limping along with Mason while drafting goalies.

Sure, all of lyon, sandstrom, and hart could end up busts or disasters or whatever. But the only way to get a Lundqvist/Rinne/Quick/etc is to draft lots of goalies for many years. Even when you don't need one, still draft 1 in a later round. Then see which one(s) pan out into something.

What would you rather Hextall do, right now? Give some FA a Bryzgalov deal? Trade for some other teams prospect that is closer to the NHL? Trade for Luongo or similar?

IMO, Hextalls plan (with a little luck) will yield a true #1 goalie in the next 2-3 years.
    Couldn't care less

Suffers from Woot Nuts Disease bmp1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartnell's_Glove View Post
    I'm getting the feeling Bernier is going to be the Flyers goalie.
    Ron Francis hung the banner out the other day

Cam Ward? anyone
    Science does not suffer fools well, but it does make fools suffer.

I'm fully expecting Bernier in a Flyers' uniform in the fall. It just makes too much sense given all the variables.

Blog Entries
    The only issue I have with the options out there is it sounds like Hextall is prioritizing simply not having anyone to block a prospect that's 2-3 years away from being a potential NHL starter. If Bishop is getting 6 million for 6 or 7 years, yeah, I would avoid that too.

The main problem I have is we continue to give years away and guys are aging every year, while new problems will continue to emerge. No one hopes Hart is ready quicker or ends up being better, than I do, because, though I love scouting prospects, the draft and all of that, I'm ready to see some legitimate winning hockey again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    I'm fully expecting Bernier in a Flyers' uniform in the fall. It just makes too much sense given all the variables.
    I wouldn't doubt it, because the variables to signing a goalie in Philly are:

1) You have to be ok with a smaller deal
    2) You have to be ok with a shorter deal
    3) You have to be ok with being a part of a tandem
    4) You have to be ok with a defense, that's largely going to be rookies and young players next year, which could mean it's prone to mistakes, but has potential

That might be a tough sell