Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The #2 Pick and Sean Couturier

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidal22 View Post
    What did Yzerman say?

Just kidding, I couldn't resist.
    I set myself up for that one. Made a similar mistake with an old school guy that used to ref for NCAA and the NHL in Columbus and he chewed into me for a solid 10 minutes.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall plan View Post
    I don't think he gets you Evander Kane in a million years. If so, I will drive he ass to Buffalo. I don't know if Couturier and Sanheim gets you Kane. I think we overate Sanheim on this board. He was traded for a lot and he brings a power forward element to a team that is very, very hard to find anymore.

I understand your questions Tidal and I agree with you 100%. We have too many centers and no LWs but I just don't know what he would be worth to another team. They would have to find a coach/ gm that believes that they can still find more offense from him or grit I guess. Can he get you a 2nd line LW? probably not, I don't know. A third line LW, you would think so?

If they can't get anything other than someone else's Laughton (ie disappointment) that plays left wing, would Hextall do it, should he? I saw a list of the top 30 free agents and it is perfectly dreadful. You would think that would improve the trade market but I have no idea.
    I wouldn't trade a Scott Laughton game worn jersey for Evander Kane.

He's got 5 straight seasons in the minus ... -31 over the last two, and hasn't scored more than 43 points since his rookie year. And he's due 6 million next year for a 5.25 cap hit, and a UFA after that. And .... a bad attitude.

Watched him alot as a Giant in Vancouver and on tv alot when he played for Winnipeg - not a fan at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
    As long as Homer is here, there is no way in hell that either Carter or Richards are moved.
    http://www.phillysportsforums.com/fo...quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MnchstrCityBlues79 http://www.phillysportsforums.com/fo...post-right.png
    Fuck off. I'm a fan, derived from fanaticism. Not born in reason or logic but in passion and dedication. If you don't believe in the intangibles and immeasurables then you are one miserable fuck.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall plan View Post
    I don't think he gets you Evander Kane in a million years. If so, I will drive he ass to Buffalo. I don't know if Couturier and Sanheim gets you Kane. I think we overate Sanheim on this board. He was traded for a lot and he brings a power forward element to a team that is very, very hard to find anymore.

I understand your questions Tidal and I agree with you 100%. We have too many centers and no LWs but I just don't know what he would be worth to another team. They would have to find a coach/ gm that believes that they can still find more offense from him or grit I guess. Can he get you a 2nd line LW? probably not, I don't know. A third line LW, you would think so?

If they can't get anything other than someone else's Laughton (ie disappointment) that plays left wing, would Hextall do it, should he? I saw a list of the top 30 free agents and it is perfectly dreadful. You would think that would improve the trade market but I have no idea.
    kane doesn't have a lot of value imo. too much off ice shit. Hasn't put up 30 goals ever. he will want a big day after this season.
    Pussy Galore

I don't think they will move Couturier. They value him too much. All the Nolan/Hischier draft pick will do is bump Filppula to the wing next season and probably cost us a chance to bring back Jordan Weal. The 'core' piece most likely to move IMO is Brayden Schenn. He repeatedly is shown through contract talks and lineup decisions to be the odd man out. Even now overseas, he is the 13th forward with lesser players locked into the top 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkay View Post
    kane doesn't have a lot of value imo. too much off ice shit. Hasn't put up 30 goals ever. he will want a big day after this season.
    Yeah he has a steep hit now and will be playing for his next contract. He had 28 goals last year and is a natural LW. He's be a fit as long as his off ice stuff doesn't get in the way. Philly media would kill him though.

Quote Originally Posted by TCNow View Post
    I wouldn't trade a Scott Laughton game worn jersey for Evander Kane.

He's got 5 straight seasons in the minus ... -31 over the last two, and hasn't scored more than 43 points since his rookie year. And he's due 6 million next year for a 5.25 cap hit, and a UFA after that. And .... a bad attitude.

Watched him alot as a Giant in Vancouver and on tv alot when he played for Winnipeg - not a fan at all.
    I agree. I used to be a big Evander Kane fan when he first came into the league, but not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal22 View Post
    With all due respect....

This isn't the point I want to debate. The point is right now you have:

NHL CENTERS:

Giroux (8+ million)
    Filppula (5+ million - UFA)
    Couturier (at 4+ million)
    Bellemare
    Vecchione
    Cousins
    Laughton

PROSPECTS:

Rubtsov
    Patrick/Hischier (presuming)

Are we assuming at this point that Couturier is too good to move for something else you need, given that you have glut of NHL centers and NHL caliber prospect centers (assuming Patrick or Hischier is the pick)? Couturier "is fine as a 3rd line center" may be true, but the questions is can ANY of the guys listed below Couturier, either in the NHL list or the prospect list, take the 3rd line job, allowing Couturier to be dealt for something that fixes lines 1-2 and isn't a huge detriment to line 3?

If we were a cup contender now, I'd say no, you don't move anyone from the core, but we're a team that seems to be fixed to spend another 1-2 years in this rebuild, meaning Couturier will be 26-27 by the time we are a potential contender and our prospects should be "mature". Right now, it seems to me, if you can find a fit, it makes perfect sense to deal him, whether or not he is ok as 3rd line center. I don't believe we don't have a single player in that list capable of scoring 30pts and being a respectable defensive player. Beyond that, if anyone thinks Couturier will remain a better player than Rubtsov or Patrick/Hischier, then we'd better start looking to trade that 2nd overall pick, because you're in a load of shit.
    Filppula is gone next summer and the #1B / #2 Center slot should be filled by the #2 overall pick. We just don't know enough about Rubtsov or Vecchione to know if they can fill Couturier's slot. I would hope one of them could. I have seen nothing from the others to indicate they can.

That being said, I think you wait until the trade deadline or the 2018 draft to look to trade Couturier. Hopefully by that time two things happen ... 1) Couturier stays healthy and has a good year offensively and 2) Vecchione or Rubtsov prove ready for the 3C slot / role.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    Filppula is gone next summer and the #1B / #2 Center slot should be filled by the #2 overall pick. We just don't know enough about Rubtsov or Vecchione to know if they can fill Couturier's slot. I would hope one of them could. I have seen nothing from the others to indicate they can.

That being said, I think you wait until the trade deadline or the 2018 draft to look to trade Couturier. Hopefully by that time two things happen ... 1) Couturier stays healthy and has a good year offensively and 2) Vecchione or Rubtsov prove ready for the 3C slot / role.
    the other dirty rushkie will 14's spot.
    Pussy Galore

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant Owl View Post
    Why would they be any worse? They're certainly not drafting this high again next year, and I don't think there's anyone that is of elite nature in next draft class and we're getting to the point where the cupboards are stocked with decent prospect, why not use it to fill a known gap?
    Because the Flyers are trying to improve by just adding rookies this offseason. And not the Matthews Marner or Provorov level of rookies. I highly doubt the #2 pick makes it. He will likely sent back to juniors based on Hextall's slow development approach. So think Konecny level at best. So they will be hit or miss all season long. MacDonald will still likely be on the top pair, getting the 2nd most minutes of any defenseman, and Couturier will still be getting the 4th most minutes of any forward on the team. Add Hakstol to the mix and I don't see an improvement. If the rookies struggle I see much worse.

Oh and the Flyers were one of the healthiest teams in the league last year. What are the odds that will occur again this year?
    Last edited by Poulin228; 05-08-2017 at 03:42 PM.

They have 5 centers. So there probably going to trade a 50 point scoring winger. Love it when fagnatic posts dumb shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Trigger Warning
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...-8#q=ManVsRice