Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The #2 Pick and Sean Couturier

Blog Entries

The #2 Pick and Sean Couturier

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphi...ier-expendable

I just can't. This article came out a couple days ago and, of course, as usual, unleashed a shit storm of anti-Couturier hate and pro-Couturier (BUT HE SCORES 5 on 5) posts across social media. I don't necessarily want to get into all of that, because you either love Couturier (not me) or you hate Couturier (definitely me) and it seems, in spite of all the proof both sides profess to have, no one ever seems to change their fucking mind.

That said, the bigger issue is this. In my mind, specifically when reading people like Anthony Mignioni or Charlie O'Connor from BSH, most people seem to want to double down, keep everyone and hope that things improve, simply by adding prospects. That's fine and good, but where do you play them and how do you fix problems BEFORE you have to start paying Gostisbehere, Provorov, Konecny, etc, as the next wave?

You're, in theory, going to potentially add Patrick/Hischier, Lindblom, Vecchione, Morin and Hagg next year, with the option to add Sanheim, Myers, Laughton, Rubtsov and still with the roster clogged by Raffl, Read, Weise, MacDonald, etc. Beyond that you have Giroux, Filppula, Couturier, Bellemare at C already. You have no goaltender, you're integrating a lot of rookies and you still have no natural LW (for the 5th year running).

My point being, why in god's name would you not now make a trade, even if it's for Couturier, even if he's 106th in 5 on 5 scoring in the last 2 years, even if you're not sure if Patrick/Hischier or Rubtsov will be ready by camp? CLEARLY, given all the factors above, there's reason to be optimistic for the future, but I would argue, not that much reason to be optimistic for NEXT year.

The love affair with certain players, specifically Couturier, has to end. If you can get overpaid for something, it goes, because you're entire plan is to allow all of these rookies to eventually be your core and they will be the eventual "cup contenders". In a world where UFA Martin Hanzal (who is sort of a clone of Couturier) gets Arizona a 1st, 2nd, prospect and conditional pick, as a UFA, would you not trade Couturier to get the LW we need or an over payment of picks?

I don't understand the argument against this, especially given that the 2nd pick will VERY likely, be a cheaper, better, more offensive, player at the same position and the fact that the Flyers themselves profess that they are not "a contender" and that the "process" will likely take a couple more years (which I think is asinine, because it doesn't have to). I feel like this is common sense? Am I wrong?
    Much like Ron Hextall, I will not mortgage my future posts on rental posts.

Get rid of Couturier, he won't be a key part of any winning team. If he had a bit more speed, or a snarl to his game, then he would be a solid player. He has neither of those things.
    Couldn't care less

Being a shutdown center is all well and good, but the top caliber guys score a lot of points. The last time a Selke winner scored less than 50 points was Chris Draper in 2003-2004 with 40 points, but he also score 25 goals.

The closest is John Madden in 2000-2001 with 38 points. That is creeping up on 20 years ago.

He's a decent option for a checking center. I just don't know if that is a valuable enough commodity at 4.3 Million a year for the next 5 years.

If he is not going to score 45+ points he is going to need to add something else to his game, as PhillyB alluded to above. I just dont think he has it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Trigger Warning
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...-8#q=ManVsRice

All Star
    just a simple question really. How much worse would the flyers be without #14? instead of 13th maybe 14th?
    Pussy Galore

They won 10 games in row without #14 this year. I am not saying that was the reason why, but I think it proves that he is not really a critical cog in this lineup.
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Trigger Warning

I think Couturier is fine as a 3rd line center. I don't think it was a coincidence that he started to play better when he was put in that role after the trade deadline. Still, FLiP makes a good point about his Cap Hit. Is $4.3M a good cap hit for a guy that might hit 40 points when healthy, plays good defense and kills penalties?

Artist formerly known as kindczar zeusam's Avatar
    Next year will be the year his offense comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    I think Couturier is fine as a 3rd line center. I don't think it was a coincidence that he started to play better when he was put in that role after the trade deadline. Still, FLiP makes a good point about his Cap Hit. Is $4.3M a good cap hit for a guy that might hit 40 points when healthy, plays good defense and kills penalties?
    I was making a different point. I said he needed to had another dimension to his game if he is going to cap out a 40 points. As Philly B said, some sort of Physicality. It is unfathomable to me that a checking center has less than 50 hits in a year.
    Trigger Warning

Because I am on the "dislike" side of the Couturier argument I have no clue what his actual value would be around the league.

Philly Sports Forums LLC Senior Counsel FlyerDuke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zeusam View Post
    Next year will be the year his offense comes around.
    LOL
    Originally Posted by DrunkenCoatsey
    This thread here, I'm pretty sure it what the Internet was made for. A never ending battle to summit Mt. Retard.