Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alexander Ovechkin

Calmoring for Briere's Derriere rufstuf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCNow View Post

Was isn't a worse team than Pitt - they are losing because they aren't consistently playing with the same level of intensity and don't seem a ble to raise it into hyper-gear when they need a goal.
    have you watched those games? The biggest reason they are losing is because fluery is outplaying holtby by a HUGE margin. whereas fluery has almost single handedly stolen a couple games for his team, holtby seems incapable of coming up w/ critical saves at critical times. even when he has had a decent overall game, he has had at least 1 point in each game when he failed to come up w/ a save when his team needed him to come up big. by contrast, fleury has come up HUGE for the pens numerous times in each game, especially the end of game 1 or 2 where he was sprawling all over the crease and made at least 3-4 5 alarm saves as the caps pressed for the tying goal.

ovechkin, and even moreso imo, backstrom could probably be doing more, as any top players on a team down 3-1 in their series could, but holtby being outplayed by fleury is still the main reason the caps are down.
    from hell's heart i stab at thee. for hate's sake, i spit my last breath at thee.

Hockey Threads! It's a Miracle!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyney View Post
    Your post couldn't be a more flawed pile of shit. 89 points in 94 playoff games. AO's job isn't to carry the team on his back. They are more stacked with talent, more so than at any point in AO's time with the team. He's also 31 years old now. The year they didn't have shit on the roster he dropped 21 points in 14 playoff games.

But please, you retards keep advancing this hilarious and erroneous 'AO is a playoff dog' rhetoric.
    He's a great player that has won nothing. Has he ever been to a Conference final even? He cannot play defense and has no clue how to. I'm not debating he's not very good, he's great offensively. And you can put up 50 points in the playoffs but if you can never even reach a conference final ... then you've got issues in your game.

Seventeen men have won the Hart Trophy (MVP) multiple times like Ovechkin, dating all the way back to 1923-24. Those Hart winners are responsible for 54 Stanley Cup titles. Ovechkin is the only one not to win one let alone even reach a conference final.

Then you can added in his International play. His Russians teams have won nothing either.

I love the way he plays and hope he wins one day but I just don't see it.
    Last edited by Eztarget; 05-05-2017 at 01:22 PM.

All Star
    The days of Superstars carrying teams is over. It's by committee now. Just helps if you have a committee of superstars...

Suffers from Woot Nuts Disease bmp1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eztarget View Post
    He's a great player that has won nothing. Has he ever been to a Conference final even? He cannot play defense and has no clue how to. I'm not debating he's not very good, he's great offensively. And you can put up 50 points in the playoffs but if you can never even reach a conference final ... then you've got issues in your game.

Seventeen men have won the Hart Trophy (MVP) multiple times like Ovechkin, dating all the way back to 1923-24. Those 16 men are responsible for 54 Stanley Cup titles. Ovechkin is the only one not to win let alone even reach a conference final.
    it's still a team sport. The NHL isn't like the NBA where 3 players can dominate a game.
    Science does not suffer fools well, but it does make fools suffer.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by bmp1 View Post
    it's still a team sport. The NHL isn't like the NBA where 3 players can dominate a game.
    No, you just need one. See Gretzky, Wayne. Hasek, Dominik. Lemieux, Mario.

Hockey Threads! It's a Miracle!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmp1 View Post
    Not true. Lindros put the 1997 team on his back and got to the finals with horrible goaltending.

Jonathan Quick put the 2012 Kings on his back and won the Cup.

Ovechkin has won the Hart Trophy multiple times. When you are at that caliber a lot more is expected of you. Like I said I like the guys game and hope he clicks for him but I just don't see it happening.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant Owl View Post
    No, you just need one. See Gretzky, Wayne. Hasek, Dominik. Lemieux, Mario.
    How many HoF'ers between Gretzky's Oilers and Lemieux's Penguins? 10-15, easy, I reckon.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenCoatsey View Post
    How many HoF'ers between Gretzky's Oilers and Lemieux's Penguins? 10-15, easy, I reckon.
    I wasn't even alive then... So yeah maybe.. Kurri, Messier, Coffey, but that's about all I got.

Suffers from Woot Nuts Disease bmp1's Avatar
    Hašek only won a Cup when he went to the Red Wings.
    People tend to forget the players around them.
    But if you need one player that comes up huge, it's a goalie. LA wins because of Quick and a decent cast around him. As great as Hašek was he couldn't win in Buffalo. Fuhr had a great run.
    Science does not suffer fools well, but it does make fools suffer.

It was worth a look...

Gretzky teamed with Messier, Fuhr, Anderson, Kurri, and Coffey. Glen Sather in HOF as well.

Mario with Larry Murphy, Joe Mullen, Ron Francis, Luc Robitaille, Bryan Trottier, and Coffey. Scotty Bowman and Bob Johnson as coaches and Patrick as GM. Will have to add Jagr to list once eligible.

Damn.