Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Vecchione come to Philly thread

Read played in the AHL the end of the season when he signed with the Flyers and scored at better than a ppg. Then he score 24 goals as a rookie. He earned his place on the Flyers and his first contract was a great deal. The 2nd one not so much.

Seasoned Veteran TherienLiesTheProblem's Avatar
    I hated when they extended Matt Read. 4 years, $3.625M per. I suggested they dump Read and Luke's cap hits for Chris Stewart 2 years ago, who was an impending FA. LOL at the herd's reaction. "Worst trade suggestion in the history of the board!" "Matt Read is a key PKer!" Classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    I hope Tiltp dies in a car accident or Jeff skinner gets concussed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    Read played in the AHL the end of the season when he signed with the Flyers and scored at better than a ppg. Then he score 24 goals as a rookie. He earned his place on the Flyers and his first contract was a great deal. The 2nd one not so much.
    I know. What I'm saying is I'm fine with signing Vecchione, but we have so many problems, I don't want to see him billed as "the answer". I'd be glad to get a free prospect and someone who can potentially cheaply help the 3rd line, but I can almost bet you the second he's signed there will be fans expecting Simon Gagne, simply, because someone mentioned the word "speed".
    Much like Ron Hextall, I will not mortgage my future posts on rental posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal22 View Post
    I don't have an issue with them trying to find a gem in the rough....what I have a problem with is them relying on it as a solution for the short term. If they get this kid, you throw him into the AHL and if he earns it, he goes to the NHL. The issue is they signed Matt Read and immediately said "he's our core". We need legit talent, but I'm happy to give this kid a shot. A free prospect is a free prospect...
    It does seem to be part of their solution. I have every confidence that this summer they will sign some undrafted stiff who put up 27 goals in the Transylvanian League. He will have a couple of good games in the pre-season and will be touted as the next Dave Poulin. Within a couple of years he will be assembling food at Subway.

Waive Nodl and Shelley BluehenJK's Avatar
    Screw this guy....lets go get a Euro UFA. Those guys always pan out. I mean Raffl, PEB, Medvedev, Pyorala, Lyubimov. We need more of them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woodzman View Post
    It does seem to be part of their solution. I have every confidence that this summer they will sign some undrafted stiff who put up 27 goals in the Transylvanian League. He will have a couple of good games in the pre-season and will be touted as the next Dave Poulin. Within a couple of years he will be assembling food at Subway.
    "I DON'T WORK IN FAST FOOD.....I"M AN ARTISAN SANDWICH MAKER"!

Matt Read got added at a time where they had a lot of other offensive pieces and as a supplementary piece, to Giroux, Hartnell, Jagr, Simmonds, Voracek, Briere, JVR, Couturier and Schenn, among others. He was a good risk that panned out, because we had talent at other levels, which means we didn't have to expect him to be the savior and other teams were worried about stopping the better players.

Fast forward.....we've lost Hartnell, Jagr, Briere and JVR and they've been replaced with Konecny, Cousins, Filppula and Vandevelde. So when you add this kid, if we do, expecting him to be a 20+ guy like Read isn't realistic, but I have no doubt he will be over-hyped
    Much like Ron Hextall, I will not mortgage my future posts on rental posts.

Yup. You are right. They will be overhyped. We will be given the company line about how they like his work ethic and what he brings to the ice every day and how he has improved his game over the years and all that usual b.s. Still, there is a reason the dude was not drafted or signed. I agree that good players fall through the cracks every now and then, but, as you suggest (rightfully so) it is questionable methodology and it has become a pattern with this organization. It certainly has done nothing to make them serious contender. I like the general notion of taking chances on players but do it with the young ones.

From Meltzer on Vecchione:

1) Don't expect any substantive news on the NHL destination of Union College captain Mike Vecchione in the next few days. Union is still alive in the chase for the 2017 Frozen Four, playing Cornell in Friday's ECAC Hockey Semifinal game in Lake Placid, NY. The victor will take on the winner of the Harvard vs. Quinnipiac game. Flyers goaltending prospect Merrick Madsen, a junior, plays for Harvard.

The fact that Flyers defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere, a Union alum, plans to speak to ex-teammate Vecchione before he makes his decision on the multiple NHL offers that await him is really no indicator about the 24-year-old Vecchione's leanings. Likewise, the fact that he attended the Flyers' Development Camp last summer is by no means a guarantee of signing with Philadelphia.

The 5-foot-10, 194-pound senior racked up 29 goals and 62 points in 36 games this season; by far the best output of his collegiate career and the top points-per-game average of any NCAA player this season. He also played a strong two-way game for Rick Bennett's team.

Veccchione is a worthy Hobey Baker Award candidate this year and has shown a knack for scoring crucial goals; none bigger than the overtime penalty shot goal he scored against Princeton to send Union to Lake Placid. It's been a magical season all around.

The Flyers are also reportedly among the NHL teams with interest in Union junior forward Spencer Foo. However, it is not known if the 23-year-old Foo (24 goals, 59 points) will opt to turn pro this year or wait until he completes his senior year in 2017-18. His 18-year-old brother, Parker Foo, will be an incoming freshman at Union next season.

As with all collegiate free agents and overage junior players, keep expectations realistic when looking at the NHL upsides of Vecchione and Foo. Last year, the amount of hype for Drake Caggiula -- and the local assumption that him having playing for Dave Hakstol in his first three seasons at the University of North Dakota made the Flyers the odds-on favorite to sign the player -- got out of hand. Not as out of hand as the round-the-clock watch on NHL teams tripping over themselves to court Jimmy Vesey (who has gone on to chip in 24 points in 69 games as a rookie for the New York Rangers this season), but out of proportion given that Caggiula always projected as a role player.

Both Vecchione and Foo are good young players who could have a chance to help a team at the pro level. Neither is an NHL franchise player or some miracle worker who will radically alter an organization's outlook simply by his presence. If the Flyers are able to sign one, it would be a nice addition to the pool of forward hopefuls.

Ok let's see what happens now with Union's season over

Hextall was in Cincinnati yesterday to see PSU and Union...

Vecchione said he wants to go a team "that needs centers and compliments his style of play"

Not sure of his style of play but fuck we obviously need centers...

Just to piss off the CORSI nerds....Vecchione > Cucktourier.