Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Vecchione come to Philly thread

Bow Down to the Timeout abstract's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    It's ok to have a few smaller players. But this team is starting to have nothing but smaller players.
    The direction seems to be midgets up front and giants on the blue line.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSlackDelta View Post
    You know how you can tell you've fucked up and sound like an idiot, when you've got people like Nora and I in complete agreement with each other on an issue.

these are generally the guys that slip through the cracks...if you're big, can skate and score you're generally drafted or signed by now. If you can get a couple years of Matt Read type of production for cash that's a great signing....Read scored 20 goals the first couple years in the league when I believe he was 26...as it stands now we're likely to have 3 20 goal scorers so they need as many people that can score as possible....if they have to bench, waive or send down a PEB, Read, whomever so be it. You don't not take a better player because you have a guy on your roster under contract. You make the roster as competitive as possible.

this is precisely why I don't understand why they needed to sign PEB to 2 years now. Did they really have the big of a leadership gap with Streit moving on that he needed to fill that gap? He had no trade value, he's a 32 year old with 3 goals (career high of 7) who's probably a super duper guy but has no upside whatsoever and his floor is extremely low.

Laughton, if he isn’t claimed in the ED, will most likely be on the team next year since he will be subject to waivers. Leier is in the same category but with his concussion issues and not being a high draft pick things are more uncertain for him. Still I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to find a spot for him. Lindblom is likely to be ready as well so it should be interesting how they try to fit all of these guys. Someone is getting claimed and VV is most likely not returning with the roster crush but it is still a lot of bodies. Lyubimov may not be back and he could probably play more elsewhere so it may be to his benefit to look elsewhere.

Weal-Giroux-Simmonds
    Schenn-Filppula-Voracek
    Lindblom-Couturier-Konecny
    Raffl-PEB-Weise
    Laughton, Cousins, Read, Lyubimov, VV, Leier

Just like Drake Caggiula, Christian Folin, Ben Scrivens, Andrej Sustr and about 5-10 other guys I'm forgetting - I look forward to the hype building, people penciling him in various line combos, unrealistic point production expectations - and then crushing sadness when he signs with another team.

Ryan Kesler Fan Club President
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    Just like Drake Caggiula, Christian Folin, Ben Scrivens, Andrej Sustr and about 5-10 other guys I'm forgetting - I look forward to the hype building, people penciling him in various line combos, unrealistic point production expectations - and then crushing sadness when he signs with another team.
    Justin Schultz was another guy that had fans clamoring. And his galling parade of "pitch people" from various NHL teams coming into his agent's office to make their pitch. I posted here that week that I hoped he fell flat on his fucking face. And he did.

EDIT: Well, relatively speaking anyway. He is still a millionaire afterall and I am not. So there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyerDuke View Post
    LOL. I actually think Couturier should use cocaine - it may make him skate faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    not sure even coke would help with that.

You guys can take the fun out of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyMac View Post
    You guys can take the fun out of anything.
    I'm just being overly cynical. I do have a passing interest into them getting a few college UFA's. Nothing wrong with loading the cupboard.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyney View Post
    Justin Schultz was another guy that had fans clamoring. And his galling parade of "pitch people" from various NHL teams coming into his agent's office to make their pitch. I posted here that week that I hoped he fell flat on his fucking face. And he did.

EDIT: Well, relatively speaking anyway. He is still a millionaire afterall and I am not. So there's that.
    He struggled on terrible Edm teams but he's proven to be a pretty good player - 5th in d-man scoring and tied for 4th for the best +/- in the league this year with Pitt.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayPSU View Post
    As long as Homer is here, there is no way in hell that either Carter or Richards are moved.
    http://www.phillysportsforums.com/fo...quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MnchstrCityBlues79 http://www.phillysportsforums.com/fo...post-right.png
    Fuck off. I'm a fan, derived from fanaticism. Not born in reason or logic but in passion and dedication. If you don't believe in the intangibles and immeasurables then you are one miserable fuck.

All Star
    Matt read was a great signing. Now he was a terrible resigning. It's a fine line.

I don't have an issue with them trying to find a gem in the rough....what I have a problem with is them relying on it as a solution for the short term. If they get this kid, you throw him into the AHL and if he earns it, he goes to the NHL. The issue is they signed Matt Read and immediately said "he's our core". We need legit talent, but I'm happy to give this kid a shot. A free prospect is a free prospect...
    Much like Ron Hextall, I will not mortgage my future posts on rental posts.