Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Phillippe Myers thread

They should experience some playoffs and stay with their team

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal22 View Post
    My comment has been you can't play 3 rookie defenseman and expect to win, or expect them to all "develop" consistently.

That being said, I completely agree that they should be bringing up at least 1 now to get a leg up on the issue. If you got Morin up here for Manning or Schultz, it would immediately give him a taste and let us see where he's at. When you're talking about 21-22 year old "top prospects" it's time to get a look.

What's maddening is from listening to Hextall's quotes in the most recent article by Dave Isaac, he's saying he doesn't want to take any kids out of the AHL, because they might make the playoffs. I get the desire to allow the AHL team talent, because they could have a playoff run, but the AHL team is a function of the NHL team. You don't run the NHL team according to what the AHL team needs, you run the AHL team according to what the NHL team needs. I'm not saying gut them, I'm saying take someone like Morin or Hagg (when healthy) and get a look at them here. Give the fans something. You're asking for continual patience...let the fans see what the future holds. If you won't do that and you don't add NHL talent on the ice, then the fans are just watching this slop and becoming apathetic..
    The NHL team is already bad, and adding 1 rookie isn't going to change that this year.
    Couldn't care less

So why do they sign guys to end of year tryouts from other leagues and get them into the AHL? Like why did they do that last year with Lindblom? Clearly they do it to get the kid a taste of the next level, so he can realize where he's at vs the new level he'll have to be at going forward. Calling up 1 kid isn't killing the phantom's playoff dreams, but it might help that individual player (probably the one you expect to make the NHL next year) train more appropriately after having gauged themselves vs NHL speed and talent.

I don't see how it'd be counter productive to a hockey player expected to play at this level next year to get a look at how they're expected to play, vs NHL competition and then get sent back down to finish the AHL playoffs. That's just me
    just a guess but they may feel that AHL playoffs is more valuable than a few games in an expiring NHL season. Hexy has often mentioned the value of long playoff runs, value of playing in WJC, etc.. Probably looking for the elevated compete level and desire to win. If they were out of the playoffs in the AHL and we were out in the NHL my guess is that they'd give them a taste just like you mentioned with Lindblom. One reason why they may not bring them up now is because they are needed in the AHL and they may not make the playoffs if their best dman is in the NHL.

So why do they sign guys to end of year tryouts from other leagues and get them into the AHL? Like why did they do that last year with Lindblom?
    If their season is done than why not? Start the evaluation process and give them a taste, sure. That's a different situation than removing them from their team that is trying to ramp up for a playoff run. Especially if they aren't really needed on the big club. Are we ripping Lindblom away from Modo so he can't help them in the playoffs? That would kind of be a dick move. Less so for AHL but still. Weal was needed on the big club but they made sure he will be available for AHL the playoffs. I'd rather they focus on that and finish with a purpose instead of on a team that is barely going through the motions and where they won't play as much.

Blog Entries
    I'd personally like to see 1 of Morin or Hagg get a few games here to give them experience and then send them back when our season ends. Lehigh Valley is at 82pts after 61 games, they're making the playoffs. They've got 21 remaining and we have 12, so this notion that you can't see what a player looks like for 5-6 games and give them an idea of what they'll need to work on cause it's going to somehow damn their AHL team is odd to me.
    Much like Ron Hextall, I will not mortgage my future posts on rental posts.

Do they even have the roster spots?

Blog Entries
    Honestly, I don't even care.....next year you'll likely have Sanheim and Myers playing in the AHL to start, Morin and Hagg getting a look and it'll be a real mess. Everything this team does now is about #patience and that's fine if you don't mind waiting indefinitely, but I've grown tired of watching this team kick it down the road time after time.

I hope I'm wrong and our rookies come in next year, play fantastic wire to wire, the sophomore players don't slump and we can take a step forward, but I don't expect that. With the way Hextall seems to be handling every aspect of the team, it seems we're more likely to see that step forward in about 2-3 years.
    Much like Ron Hextall, I will not mortgage my future posts on rental posts.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapdad View Post
    Do they even have the roster spots?
    Don't think that's a problem they can send down MacDonald or Lyubimov, etc. and bring up a Morin/Haag. Just flip them between the teams I would think.