Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How does Hextall still get a pass with so many fans?

I like his work at the draft and his ability to get value for his declining vets. Getting Weal, Gudas, Konency, two 2nds, two 3rds, Filppula and a 4th for Coburn, Timonen, Streit, Lecavalier and Schenn is a win. I also agree with his patience with most of the prospects.

I dislike about everything he's done for the "now" - the trades, the coach, the assistant coaches, the refusal/inability to improve this roster. But I think he couldn't give two shits about the current state of the team. Let the kids develop until they're ready. Surround them with "good vets" like Bellemare and wait it out. He has a lot of time to build this. They're not going to fire the last guy Snider wanted - and I read somewhere that Hextall and Holmgren were tasked with keeping the Flyers' identity. This guy's here for the long haul.
    Last edited by FlyerFanatic; 03-12-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    - and I read somewhere that Hextall and Holmgren were tasked with keeping the Flyers' identity. This guy's here for the long haul.
    I do have to ask, what is the Flyers identity these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    I do have to ask, what is the Flyers identity these days?
    I'm not saying there is one. I'm just paraphrasing the article I read.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    I'm not saying there is one. I'm just paraphrasing the article I read.
    Gotcha.......

Something this team needs to do. There is no team identity now.

Fipula was a 3 week band-aid. Now we have 5 mill more on books next year. Hextall doesnt get a pass from me. He waited all yr to finally make some change. Too late.

Whether we like it or not Filppula was a 1 year and 1 month band aid until Rubstov is ready because Hextall didn't want to give up assets in a trade or make a UFA signing for a position he thinks he has a solution for in house.

Hextall is trying to rebuild this team for the long haul, while trying to keep them competitive at the same time. It's not easy to do both. We're too good to tank, & Hextall can't just blow shit up because we have long term contracts and/or garbage where we won't get value in trades. As well, I don't think anyone wants to roll the dice for a "win now" by trading youth. The Filppula move was good because it gave us a 2C & has a trickle down effect on the other lines. Plus, his contract is only next year. It's probably a better situation than any UFA we could pick up to fill that role. As well, the Weal promotion greatly helped the top line. In my opinion...next year will be Hextall's make or break year....he needs to work the kids into the lineup, resolve the goalie situation, & remake the bottom 6 into a more effective group.

On the flip side....I agree he should have sat on some of the cap savings rather than signing a guy like Weise or extending Neuvirth. It's hard to read what his goalie plans are....hopefully he's not left standing without a chair when the music stops.

At the end of this season..Hextall now has some cap space, ready D prospects, & some open roster spots due to contracts that finally expired. Lets see what our roster looks like in October.

20 GOTO 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange&Black View Post
    Hextall is trying to rebuild this team for the long haul, while trying to keep them competitive at the same time. It's not easy to do both. We're too good to tank, & Hextall can't just blow shit up because we have long term contracts and/or garbage where we won't get value in trades. As well, I don't think anyone wants to roll the dice for a "win now" by trading youth. The Filppula move was good because it gave us a 2C & has a trickle down effect on the other lines. Plus, his contract is only next year. It's probably a better situation than any UFA we could pick up to fill that role. As well, the Weal promotion greatly helped the top line. In my opinion...next year will be Hextall's make or break year....he needs to work the kids into the lineup, resolve the goalie situation, & remake the bottom 6 into a more effective group.

On the flip side....I agree he should have sat on some of the cap savings rather than signing a guy like Weise or extending Neuvirth. It's hard to read what his goalie plans are....hopefully he's not left standing without a chair when the music stops.

At the end of this season..Hextall now has some cap space, ready D prospects, & some open roster spots due to contracts that finally expired. Lets see what our roster looks like in October.
    I don't think anyone said trade the youth to win now. And I think most people are happy with the drafting. But a good bit of the garbage on the roster is now due to him. The entire bottom 6 is on him. Some of the garbage depth on D is on him.

Bow Down to the Timeout abstract's Avatar
    The biggest problem is how long it will take the youth to be ready and will that be longer than when Giroux and Voracek's prime years.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSlackDelta View Post
    You know how you can tell you've fucked up and sound like an idiot, when you've got people like Nora and I in complete agreement with each other on an issue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by st93ct9u View Post
    I don't think anyone said trade the youth to win now. And I think most people are happy with the drafting. But a good bit of the garbage on the roster is now due to him. The entire bottom 6 is on him. Some of the garbage depth on D is on him.
    I have no problem with his drafting. I'm a huge prospect nerd and I think, by and large, he's done a really good job with that. I also don't have an issue with the trades he's made of Coburn and Timonen.

The repeated efforts to clear cap space, only to then re-fill it with more slugs and non-scorers, is a huge problem. You have to chart a course and go with it and I'll tell you, I'd be 100% more likely to trust him if he said, "we realize we have to rebuild and that means parting with some good players we'd rather keep" and then he dealt some of the older core guys. I'd be 100% more likely to trust him if he simply made a hockey trade in the offseason that changed the core so we weren't continuing to watch the same group do what they do over and over like Groundhog Day. I'd even be 100% more likely to trust him if he said "we need to add some talent and sometimes that costs you a little bit of your future" and he added a player we desperately needed. I'm not talking about giving up 2-3 grade A prospects and players, I'm talking about making a smart deal where you move 1 prospect to get what you need to mesh with what you have now, since you're holding onto a late 27-29 year old core group that needs more talent.

I'm not cool with just sitting here watching him re-sign the Bellemare's of the world, talking about competition (by way of adding 12 guys to play on the 4th line) and overpaying to extend guys who we know can't take the next step. Building up a prospect system is great, but time doesn't stop just and you can't just middle it for 5-6 years and it looks like that's where we're headed unless there's a course correction.
    Much like Ron Hextall, I will not mortgage my future posts on rental posts.