Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft

I obviously don't know a lot about this draft but I like what I have read about Cody Glass. If the Flyers fall to within the top 10 he could be there when they pick.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant Owl View Post
    Pretty much describes Couturier as well.
    Until you look at the 2 of them

it's hard to define what a" successful" draft pick is so I chose 200+ NHL games as an indication of success.

Year top 15 top 10
    2000 8 7
    2001 10 6
    2002 13 9
    2003 14 10
    2004 10 7
    2005 11 9
    2006 14 10
    2007 13 9
    2008 11 9
    2009 14 9
    2010 11 9
    2011 11 10
    2012 11 7

In 2011 and 2012 there are several players near 200 games which they will break over the next year or so. In total since 2000 about 84% of the players drafted in the top 15 play 200+ games in the NHL..move up to the top 10 and the hit rate is around 93%. The Flyers are likely to finish in the top 15 this year...closer to the top 10. Even if it is a bad draft year there's a good chance that they get a good player....usually in bad draft years it's the depth of solid players that may fall off quickly which will impact teams later in the 1st round.

Sitting with the 10th pick right now.

There's no sense in winning games now. It's a shame I have to say that.

This draft sucks. Who really cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmFlyersFan View Post
    Ovenchicken held scoreless also so far.

This is the kind of thing that will never ever let anyone take you seriously.

Blog Entries
    I keep saying this, but......

OF COURSE, this draft looks poor next to a draft with Matthews and Laine at the top or McDavid and Eichel. You don't have that at 1-2 and the depth isn't the same, BUT, there will still be probably 5-6 1st line type players that come out of this top 20-30 and a number of projects, top 6 or bottom 6 players with talent. It's not totally devoid of talent, it's LESS talented than the previous years, but I think, in the end, it'll measure out as an average to slightly below average draft.

I wouldn't want to double down and trade off Giroux and Voracek for picks this year, but I want the pick we do have to be as good as it can be in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc rounds. The top 2 guys are pretty obvious, but as I said earlier, guys like Mittelstadt and Tolvanen have impressed me with skills in areas where we have weaknesses. Others have mentioned Gabe Vilardi, who I've seen a bit, but to me, I see him as another guy like Schenn, who is good with the right lineup at the NHL level, but who probably won't generate as much on his own as guys like Mittelstadt and Tolvanen will.
    Much like Ron Hextall, I will not mortgage my future posts on rental posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal22 View Post

OF COURSE, this draft looks poor next to a draft with Matthews and Laine at the top or McDavid and Eichel. You don't have that at 1-2 and the depth isn't the same, BUT, there will still be probably 5-6 1st line type players that come out of this top 20-30 and a number of projects, top 6 or bottom 6 players with talent. It's not totally devoid of talent, it's LESS talented than the previous years, but I think, in the end, it'll measure out as an average to slightly below average draft.

I wouldn't want to double down and trade off Giroux and Voracek for picks this year, but I want the pick we do have to be as good as it can be in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc rounds. The top 2 guys are pretty obvious, but as I said earlier, guys like Mittelstadt and Tolvanen have impressed me with skills in areas where we have weaknesses. Others have mentioned Gabe Vilardi, who I've seen a bit, but to me, I see him as another guy like Schenn, who is good with the right lineup at the NHL level, but who probably won't generate as much on his own as guys like Mittelstadt and Tolvanen will.
    Sorry man....I can't get excited about this lame draft. The chances of us getting one of the guys you mentioned are probably slim anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal22 View Post

The problem with a draft like this is that even though there will be good players chosen, the teams will likely have to wait longer for them to make an impact. It reminds me a lot of the 2007 draft if Kane was subtracted. All the other good players from that draft took multiple years before they were anything at the NHL level. It's hard to get excited when it's likely three seasons or more away before any of these guys will help the Flyers.

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Poulin228 View Post
    The problem with a draft like this is that even though there will be good players chosen, the teams will likely have to wait longer for them to make an impact. It reminds me a lot of the 2007 draft if Kane was subtracted. All the other good players from that draft took multiple years before they were anything at the NHL level. It's hard to get excited when it's likely three seasons or more away before any of these guys will help the Flyers.
    maybe you trade it with a blue chip dman prospect to address another need.
    Pussy Galore

Quote Originally Posted by Jkay View Post
    maybe you trade it with a blue chip dman prospect to address another need.
    #1 + Sanheim or Myers + (Stolarz or Sandstrom).