Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Draft

Rookie

2017 Draft

Another article on the "terribad" upcoming draft...

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/02/14/...cks-be-traded/

Banger thinks the flyers should tank and get the best shitty player.
    Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    Gauthier played on Aube-Kubel's team, so they've seen him plenty of times. Hextall did seem to shift and touch his face when asked about Gauthier -- some would say it was a poker tell, although probably just a coincidence.
    Trigger Warning
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...-8#q=ManVsRice

Blog Entries
    I think they're like 9-14-4 since the 10 game win streak and well under .500% without it. Can't "tank" much worse at this point, but I will say if you're going to have to have a pick and you're not a contender, I'd rather have the highest pick I can.

As far as the draft, there are still going to be some good players that come out of it. The 1999 draft was awful and even in that draft you had the Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Havlat, Tim Connolly, Zetterberg, Vrbata and a collection of middle of the road players (Comrie, Pyatt, Hagman, Malone) or good defensive defenseman like Jackman and Leopold. I certainly wouldn't want to trade a player of VALUE for a pick this year, but I'd 100% trade meaningless pieces and take the best pick in each round I could get. We'll find out just how good the scouting department is in a year like this.

Right now, were looking at the #11 pick.....could end up as high as #3 (within 6 points). If we can't draft a forward that's NHL ready in the fall, or following season at the latest....it seems like a waste. Perhaps this is a pick that is packaged before draft day as part of a bold move.

Looks like there are a few forwards with good size projected in top 15.

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2017-...ects-february/

Blog Entries
    Casey Mittelstadt is rated within the top 10 and has good hands, a quick release and good vision. He can get his legs moving and really go when he wants to. Biggest thing I see with him is he can look sort of lazy, because of his posture, but when the puck is moving he moves and when he has it, he's quick with his decisions.

Eeli Tovanen has a wicked shot and a good motor. This is the kind of kid we might need, because he's a pure finisher from any spot on the ice, though he's not going to be going straight to the NHL, because of his size, which is mediocre. Basically he needs to fill out. He's rated somewhere near the top 10 depending who you ask.

There are players in this draft that will be productive, beyond pick 1 and 2 and I think part of "this draft is no good" is based upon how spoiled we've become with guys like McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Laine, going in the last 2 drafts. It's not a great draft, but is it "terrible"...I don't know. Is it possible to have a great or good draft, within an average draft year? Of course it is. There are guys I like within this draft, it's a matter of whether or not we'd be able to get them, because there aren't as many secondary targets when you miss the top 5-10 on your list.

If the Flyers finish in the bottom 10, I'd like to see Hextall be aggressive and move into the top 2. Having a young, impact center capable of moving into the 2C spot by (hopefully) the middle of next season would be a tremendous addition to the team. Between the top 10 pick, current players, and prospects, the assets are there to make it happen.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidal22 View Post
    Casey Mittelstadt is rated within the top 10 and has good hands, a quick release and good vision. He can get his legs moving and really go when he wants to. Biggest thing I see with him is he can look sort of lazy, because of his posture, but when the puck is moving he moves and when he has it, he's quick with his decisions.
    Pretty much describes Couturier as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant Owl View Post
    Pretty much describes Couturier as well.
    Pretty accurate AO.

Especially the part about looking lazy. Couturier always seems to need a kick in the butt to get him going. A huge disappointment this year.
    Between him & Giroux the center position on this team has been as bad as the goal tending this season.

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
    Pretty accurate AO.

Especially the part about looking lazy. Couturier always seems to need a kick in the butt to get him going. A huge disappointment this year.
    Between him & Giroux the center position on this team has been as bad as the goal tending this season.
    The biggest thing I notice is that Couturier needs to get more knee bend, but because he's 6-4 or whatever he can get away with his reach instead of his feet.