Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th Round Pick (#109): Flyers Select Connor Bunnaman (C)

Quote Originally Posted by TherienLiesTheProblem View Post
    I agree with you. I'm more excited about the possibilities of 6th rounders Marody and Laczynski than the 4th rounders of Bunnamann, Dove-McFalls, and Twarynski. I just don't see the point in drafting these 4th line ceiling guys in the 4th round. You can always find 4th liners. Swing for the fences rounds 4-7.
    The Flyers often look for their 3rd and 4th line upside grinders from the CHL in the 3rd-4th round, even back to Holmgren. Seems to be an organizational strategy.

Twarynski, Bunnaman, Dove-McFalls but also Goulbourne, Leier, Cousins, McGinn and Chaput as well.

Seasoned Veteran TherienLiesTheProblem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    The Flyers often look for their 3rd and 4th line upside grinders from the CHL in the 3rd-4th round, even back to Holmgren. Seems to be an organizational strategy.

Twarynski, Bunnaman, Dove-McFalls but also Goulbourne, Leier, Cousins, McGinn and Chaput as well.
    Yes, and I really hate the strategy. I don't understand the concept of spending 3rd and 4th round picks on kids whose *upsides* are bottom six grinders with a "heavy" two-way game.

You can sign those guys any summer in free agency if you need a couple -- Colin McDonald is always out there. Once you get past round 1 and 2, I think you should go for the less scouted guys, the late bloomers, the europeans, guys with talent who may have slipped through the cracks. Drafting Goulbourne and Twarynski in the 3rd and McDove and Bunnaman in the 4th -- I don't get it, although Bunnaman I think is a little more legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLiP View Post
    I hope Tiltp dies in a car accident or Jeff skinner gets concussed.

Blog Entries
    I agree. There's no point trying to get 4th line grinders in the draft, unless there's no high risk/high reward players to take. Sometimes I think the draft is sort of layered and certain teams don't try to hit a home run until they've exhausted every safe "this guy will probably make the NHL as a grinder" pick.

Where they got Marody, he wasn't even really high risk/high reward, he was just a longer term NCAA player you'd have to be willing to wait 3-4 years on in NCAA before you really see any benefits. On talent though, he deserved to be higher.

There are a LOT of teams that pick guys like Tyler Biggs ahead of Nikita Kucherov, because they see the later as risky. The reality is you should be taking the guy with the potential for a high ceiling, because as Hextall has proven a MILLION TIMES...he will sign whatever UDFA 4th liner he wants to fill up those bottom spots over and over and over and over again anyway.
    Much like Ron Hextall, I will not mortgage my future posts on rental posts.

Hextall hasn't had a choice though. Laughton I believe was their top prospect when he walked in the door and there was very little behind him.

I agree with the thoughts though that it doesn't make sense to go for 4th pluggers at any point in the draft. I'd go high ceiling with every pick from the 3rd round on. If you hit on one or two guys you can trade them for a line of NHL pluggers. I don't know much about Bunnaman or what mold he fits...I'm just happy that they have all kinds of guys moving through the system at different stages and positions. Just wish you could fast forward it a bit.

Hatrick last night

Returned from suspension tonight and had 2 goals

Administrator / Number One Super Guy jsp92's Avatar
    6-3 214 lbs. Led team in goals this year. Goal heavy. 37 G only 15 A. Perhaps a finisher for once?
    Quote Originally Posted by F'_U_Joboo View Post
    Think about this Foo, as you celebrate your (in your mind) pyhrric victory in your head tonight. INF dies in his sleep tonight, people are without jobs, can't feed their families. Others are without an option for warm clothing.

You die, someone is without 80,000 in overhead

Quote Originally Posted by jsp92 View Post
    6-3 214 lbs. Led team in goals this year. Goal heavy. 37 G only 15 A. Perhaps a finisher for once?
    And twarynski and Allison who they selected before him are 6' 2". Hopefully one of them hit.

watching some highlights for bunnaman he lives around the net.

If you look at the history of net front power forwards, the best ones come after the 1st round in the draft. Simmonds, Knuble, Franzen, Leclair. A lot of these guys were thought of as just 3rd line grinders too, fringe NHLers who worked their ass off just to get to the league. That's why you don't see a lot of 1st round picks developing into net front guys because they didn't have to work as hard to get into the league. They don't have the will to take the abuse standing in front of the net. So taking a bunch of these guys later on the draft hoping you get another Simmonds is a great idea.

Whats hurting the Flyers right now is what they have done with forwards in the first round lately. Konecny looks good but Couturier and Laughton were thought of as 3rd line forwards during their draft year by some scouts and that is a waste of the 8th and 20th overall picks. Where would this team be if those picks were actual top 6 forwards or top 4 defensemen right now?
    Last edited by Poulin228; 03-30-2017 at 07:00 AM.