Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Article on Mark Friedman...last year's 3rd rounder

Poster formerly known as zildjian92 Clarence_Worley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleOCNJ View Post
    Why are right handed Dmen rare? I thought more people / players were right then left in general.
    That's a damn good question. I'm right-handed, but am goofy footed on a board. I was thinking for a moment there might be some correlation there, but no... I like my right foot in front on a board, but my left foot in front when shooting (hockey).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatrick99 View Post
    I am a douche bag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancheza View Post
    The best way to pay cash is to use your visa or master card.

Seasoned Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence_Worley View Post
    That's a damn good question. I'm right-handed, but am goofy footed on a board. I was thinking for a moment there might be some correlation there, but no... I like my right foot in front on a board, but my left foot in front when shooting (hockey).
    http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2011/...he-story-wrong

I read that it was because as mites in Canada they start you out with the stick in your strong hand so you have a good sweep and poke check and thus play better defense. Mastering those skills means you are more likely to earn more ice time from coaches and improve more. For that reason I would bet a lot of cagy hockey parents encourage their tykes to hold the stick in the strong hand too. Makes sense. Not sure if they do the same thing in Europe but I would guess it is similar since the numbers are similar and the influence of Canadian coaching is pervasive.

Maybe in the US more people learn to play later in life and there is less ridged organization of how to hold the stick if you are right handed or lefty. I noticed in gym class that the vast majority who casually picked up a stick shot right handed. That’s the instinct if you hold a baseball bat, lacrosse stick, golf club etc… that way. Strong hand further down the stick so you have more power in your shot. That way seemed more natural to me as a righty and I felt like I had more control but no one coached me to hold it the other way. A few of my friends were righty and shot left because that was what they preferred but no one was receiving any formal instruction unless they were already in a club and were already pretty set in their ways with the basics.

I think it was more along the lines of they want your strong hand to be your top hand. Whenever you have to drop a hand and make a play one handed, it will be your lower hand that comes off the stick so it makes sense that the strong hand be the top one. At least that is how I always undersgood it. I'm right handed and shoot left in hockey and it allows you to use your off hand to block the defender, shield the puck, catch passes with one hand on the stick, etc.

Seasoned Veteran TherienLiesTheProblem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapdad View Post
    I read that it was because as mites in Canada they start you out with the stick in your strong hand so you have a good sweep and poke check and thus play better defense. Mastering those skills means you are more likely to earn more ice time from coaches and improve more. For that reason I would bet a lot of cagy hockey parents encourage their tykes to hold the stick in the strong hand too. Makes sense. Not sure if they do the same thing in Europe but I would guess it is similar since the numbers are similar and the influence of Canadian coaching is pervasive.

Maybe in the US more people learn to play later in life and there is less ridged organization of how to hold the stick if you are right handed or lefty. I noticed in gym class that the vast majority who casually picked up a stick shot right handed. That’s the instinct if you hold a baseball bat, lacrosse stick, golf club etc… that way. Strong hand further down the stick so you have more power in your shot. That way seemed more natural to me as a righty and I felt like I had more control but no one coached me to hold it the other way. A few of my friends were righty and shot left because that was what they preferred but no one was receiving any formal instruction unless they were already in a club and were already pretty set in their ways with the basics.
    Yes, it's traditionally taught in Canada to make your dominant hand your top hand on the stick so you have more power and control when using one hand.

In the U.S. it isn't taught this way as much -- and more kids who play have parents who didn't play hockey (but probably played baseball) than is the case in Canada. Hence, most kids end up gripping hockey sticks the same way they grip their baseball bats. You will see a greater percentage of right-handed shot Americans in professional hockey than Canadians.

When I was a kid, I observed that it seemed right-handers generally had harder shots than left-handers, even though there were more left-shooters in the NHL. I guessed that this was because many of the righties (by far a larger percentage of the overall population) probably were natural right-handers and you can shoot harder with your dominant hand lower on the stick. I have no data to back up that theory, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdad View Post

I also always wondered why right handed people seemed to be more common, but yet there seems to be more left handed shooters in the NHL. But this explanation does make sense and thinking about holding a stick, I could see the benefit in having my dominant hand at the top as opposed to the bottom of my stick.

So according to this theory, the RH shots may actually be lefties.

good news...another chip in the minors...Flyers to sign Friedman...I'd imagine he'll likely head to the Phantoms now that his season and collegiate career is done.

Dave Isaac
    @davegisaac

Expect #Flyers to sign NCAA defenseman Mark Friedman, third-round pick in 2014
    11:48 AM - 20 Mar 2017

All Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    good news...another chip in the minors...Flyers to sign Friedman...I'd imagine he'll likely head to the Phantoms now that his season and collegiate career is done.

Dave Isaac
    @davegisaac

Expect #Flyers to sign NCAA defenseman Mark Friedman, third-round pick in 2014
    11:48 AM - 20 Mar 2017

good.
    Pussy Galore

Suffers from Woot Nuts Disease bmp1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleOCNJ View Post
    So according to this theory, the RH shots may actually be lefties.
    I'm right handed, for the most part. But in both hockey and lacrosse I shoot left.
    Science does not suffer fools well, but it does make fools suffer.