View RSS Feed

The ICU

10-26-11: Flyers @ Canadiens Preview

Rate this Entry

You wanna know how bad the Canadiens first eight games of the year have been? Their leading goal scorer is Travis Moen. He is averaging just over 14 minutes per game, and there are only two regular starters averaging less time for the Canadiens. Eight games into the season and Moen's four goals ranks as the third most productive scoring season of his career. Moen has scored double digit goals only once in his nine seasons in the NHL.

With that in mind, it comes as no surprise that the Canadiens major issue this season has been goal scoring. Any game that they have managed to score more than one goal they have earned at least a point. In all five of their regulation losses, they have scored a single goal or have been shutout. This matchup should prove to be a good litmus test for the Flyers' defensive core in their first game without Chris Pronger.

For the Flyers, it will be interesting to see if Jaromir Jagr and Scott Hartnell are able to build on their break out performances in Monday night's game against the Leafs. I expect Jagr to play well against the undersized Candiens lineup, and Hartnell to return to his previous useless (harmful) self. Two other Flyers to keep an eye on are James van Riemsdyk and Claude Giroux. They combined for six goals against the Canadiens last season.

The Flyers have won all three of their road games this season, and I do not expect them to start losing tonight. I think the Flyers' defense will struggle without their leader, but the Flyers should be able to outscore Travis Moen and the struggling Canadiens offense. 3-1

Submit "10-26-11: Flyers @ Canadiens Preview" to Digg Submit "10-26-11: Flyers @ Canadiens Preview" to del.icio.us Submit "10-26-11: Flyers @ Canadiens Preview" to StumbleUpon Submit "10-26-11: Flyers @ Canadiens Preview" to Google

Updated 10-26-2011 at 01:59 AM by ICU

Categories
NHL / Flyers

Comments